About the Team
DoorDash is looking for top-talent to play a pivotal role in building our business in Japan! This is an exciting opportunity to create something great together and be a part of a global startup changing how local economies grow. We’re looking for people with deep market knowledge who are inspired to bring their vision, passion and skills to enable us to best serve our merchants, Dashers and consumers. Join us in our global mission to empower and grow local economies.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Marketing to own brand and performance marketing in Japan across the three sides of DoorDash's marketplace: consumer, Dasher and merchant. In this role, you will be responsible for defining the marketing strategy for launch and beyond, hiring and scaling a team of local marketing experts, collaborating with the Japan GM, our international operations team, and our global marketing team, owning critical growth KPIs for our first non-English speaking market. You’ll be responsible for multi-million dollar monthly budgets in a high-impact, highly-visible strategic role that touches multiple sides of our market: consumers, dashers, and merchants. This role will lead a local team of marketers that work with product managers, analysts, and engineers, all of whom are motivated to grow the DoorDash business within Japan. This role requires the ability to understand the perspective of a CFO, a product manager, an operator, as well as our customers, merchants, and Dashers.
You’re excited about the role because you will...
- Develop and own the marketing strategy in Japan, and craft marketing plans that support Japan’s growth objectives across customer acquisition and retention
- Own the allocation of a multi-million dollar monthly budget across all marketing activities (brand, performance, insights, promos, partnerships) to achieve specific business targets (acquisition, retention, and brand health)
- Collaborate with country leadership in support the overall vision and strategy, and work with Strategy, Operations, and Product teams to build solutions that solve problems unique to the Japanese market
- Build and lead the marketing team and agency relationships across performance, brand, partnerships, CRM, and creative to develop and execute campaigns from start to finish
- Dive deep into market, competitor, and macro trend insights to set up foundational understanding that leads to outsized success
- Continuously add and experiment with new marketing channels and initiatives while solidifying proven channels
- Ensure all marketing campaigns are measured and continuously optimised based on results; work closely with analytics devise measurement plans for high-impact marketing programs
We’re excited about you because you have…
A history of progressive responsibility in multiple marketing disciplines throughout Japan. You’re as comfortable with digital and programmatic marketing as you are with brand strategy, and you know how to develop and execute on a full funnel marketing strategy. You have extensive experience allocating and deploying multi-million dollar budgets to drive specific business results. Historically, you’ve built teams that are as high output as they are diverse; both in background and in skillset. Leadership is a trait that comes naturally to you. Your work history likely includes working for an international consumer company, and ideally you have experience with marketplaces. You have deep cultural knowledge of Japan, are a bilingual communicator (English and Japanese), and understand how to do business in Japan. Besides hard skills, you have a pleasant disposition, the knack to roll up your sleeves, and are excited by taking on hard responsibilities.
- 10+ years of progressive marketing experience in Japan across the marketing mix including brand building and direct response
- 6+ years of team management and employee development experience across brand, performance, creative, and CRM
- 6+ years of experience in a highly analytical, data intensive and/or strategic role
- Experience developing and owning multi-million dollar budgets and critical business metrics including acquisition and brand health targets, preferably for a consumer brand
- Proven ability to prioritise and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to leverage analytics and work with complex datasets to understand performance, optimise campaigns, drive decision-making, and measure outcomes
- Relentless focus on improvement
- Native level Japanese, fluent English
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are strategic - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - We are committed to our clients and connected through our vision of “Delivering Good”
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive benefits
- You will be proud to say that you work for DoorDash and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.