About the Team
At DoorDash, our customers are at the forefront of the product strategy. We believe that the best customer experience is synonymous to the success of our business in the long run. Design plays an important role, providing important thought partnership in product development. This is where you come in.
We're a multidisciplinary design team of approx. 50 members in Product Design, UX Research, UX Content Strategy, and Design Infrastructure. The team is still in an early development stage, which means everyone helps to shape the design culture and process from the ground up and gets to own big and meaningful design problems end-to-end. Please check out our story at https://doordash.design/
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Design Director to spearhead our international product design and build the design team worldwide. The role will be based in the SF Bay Area, Seattle, LA or NYC, and will oversee the designers worldwide. In this role, you would be the founding member of the DoorDash international design team and will be responsible for defining and executing the full end-to-end user experience design to win the on-demand delivery market worldwide. You will report to the Head of Design in the US.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Expand the vision of DoorDash product to the international on-demand delivery market that has different user goals and cultural nuances from the US
- Act as the UX advocate for local users to inform our product and design strategies, and use quantitative data and qualitative feedback to inform the design decisions iteratively
- Own, lead and drive design problems from ideation through to execution on all three-sided marketplace audiences internationally - Consumers, Merchants, and Dashers - in close collaboration with the existing design teams in the US HQ
- Build relationships and work with cross-functional working teams such as Product Management, Engineering, and Operations in Tokyo, Melbourn, Toronto and Berlin offices
- Be the strong glue to the Design and Product team based in the US HQ
- Recruit and manage best talents in Tokyo, Melbourn, Toronto, Berlin, and more offices as our international business grows
- Coach and mentor designers and help them develop and achieve their career goals
- Build a culture that elevates the team, both performance and morale
- Establish the operating model that increases the team's effectiveness internationally
- Be the inspiring leader by your creativity, vision, strong ownership and persistence
We're excited about you because…
- You bring minimum 15 years of product design experience
- You have 5+ years of experience building and managing teams
- You have managed a team of 5 or more before, and you're mastery at scaling the team
- You have a strong portfolio showcasing the problem-solving skill at large scale and high design caliber; Please provide a link to your portfolio (and password if applicable) to be considered for the role
- You're fluent in the latest product design trends internationally
- You can accommodate occasional traveling internationally
- You are an excellent storyteller and rockstar communicator
- You inspire us with your strong self-awareness and a 'can-do' attitude
- Complexity and ambiguity propels you
- You are able to work from any of these offices post COVID: San Francisco, Mountain View, Seattle, LA, and NYC
- You can accommodate occasional meetings with the US team to build relationships and collaborate to build a cohesive UX
Why You'll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It's something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day. We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we've been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
We're committed to supporting employees' happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That's why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on "protected categories," we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.