About the Team
The Data Engineering team builds and maintains database solutions used for daily/weekly/monthly reporting. By designing dashboards, reporting structures, and data warehouse architecture, the Data Engineering team serves as the foundation for DoorDash’s decision-making.
The Merchant Data Engineering team builds data infrastructure to support company’s Merchant strategic initiatives. The team works on anything from attracting new merchant to the platform to supporting initiatives that help the merchant partners to maximize their revenues. This role have both internal and external data reporting components allowing you to interact with both our merchants and internal stakeholders.
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a hands-on Senior Data Engineering Manager, Merchant to act both as a technical leader when scaling data infrastructure and working with your team. This manager will guide the greater data engineering team, analysts, data scientists, and DoorDash partners toward necessary structured data and insights.
You will report to the Director of Business Intelligence and Data Engineering on our Analytics team.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will...
- Provide expertise across data warehouse architecture and infrastructure maintenance that supports an evolving set of products with data infrastructure engineering teams
- Balance both managerial and technical goals simultaneously, including 1+1's, technical mentorship, and recruitment
- Collect, process, and clean data from different sources using SQL, Python, or other scripting languages
- Work with teams to automate reporting and build a strong reporting architecture
- Own and manage a portfolio of our tools which empower analysts and data scientists across the company
- Continuously optimize ETL jobs to hit performance targets
- Build data governance with scalable processes, useful data definitions, and effective project planning
We're excited about you because...
- 10+ technical experience working in business intelligence, analytics, data engineering, or a similar role
- 6+ years of direct-report management, while juggling BOTH technical and managerial tasks, including 1+1's, technical mentorship, and recruitment participation
- A hands-on approach to closing gaps in technical architecture and project execution, able to code complex SQL queries, knowledge of python
- Project management of scalable data engineering architecture and review bugs with engineering teams that achieve business objectives
- Knowledge of relational databases and frameworks (Snowflake, Redshift, PostgreSQL, Git, Airflow) and big data structures
- Experience with
- Experience using and building solutions to support various reporting and data user tools (Tableau, Looker, etc.)
- Experience with data generated by proprietary software systems and industrial solutions (SFDC, Segment, etc.)
- Experience working with teams to assess their data needs
- Hands-on leader and help the team internalize best practices by example
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.