San Francisco, CA
About the Team
DoorDash Labs is an independent team within DoorDash. We explore robotics and automation to transform last mile logistics in the long term. If you have a passion for applying robotics solutions in a service used by millions of people, we want to talk to you!
About the Role
In this role, your main focus will be to ship control algorithms for various ECUs that operate the power-train and other systems of the robot. Additionally, you will rigorously test the robot’s performance at various levels (component testing, simulation, end-to-end road testing etc.) and continuously seek to improve development processes, testing methods, bug triage and robot performance. You will report to a Technical Lead on our Autonomy team.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Design and implement low-level control algorithms to safely control ALL vehicle components such as low and high voltage batteries, drive-train, thermal management devices etc.
- Build infrastructure (plant models, functional models, dyno setup, task automation tools etc.) to perform detailed hardware-in-the-loop and software-in-the-loop simulation of all vehicle components
- Proactively design features/systems/processes to exceed the needs of internal customers i.e. robot operations, field service, autonomy software stack and hardware
- Define and solve new problems not listed here using new skills and knowledge that you may have to acquire on the fly!
What we’re looking for…
- BS/MS degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or related technical field
- 5+ years hands-on experience of building robots, autonomous vehicles or other complex mechatronics systems
- Proficiency in model based design using MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow and working knowledge of C/C++/Python
- Strong understanding of fundamental parts of robotics or mechatronics systems: feedback control, sensors, actuators, embedded controllers, CAN communication
- Experience in building physical models of mechatronic systems for simulation
- Strong understanding of road vehicle dynamics
- Deep respect and understanding for a principled and rigorous approach to testing safety-critical systems
- Comfortable using source control and build automation tools like Git, jenkins etc.
Nice to have...
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete documentation of designs and tasks
- Experience implementing ADAS features at an OEM or tier 1 supplier
- Familiarity with ROS, ROS2, Apex, Autoware, Apollo or other autonomy stack
- Experience writing drivers and interacting with sensors and other hardware
- Experience with relevant safety standards, including ISO 26262, Safety of the Intended Functionality (SOTIF/ISO 21448), or UL 4600
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.