About the Team
DoorDash is looking for top-talent to play a pivotal role in building our business in Japan! This is an exciting opportunity to create something great together and be a part of a global startup changing how local economies grow. We’re looking for people with deep market knowledge who are inspired to bring their vision, passion and skills to enable us to best serve our merchants, Dashers and consumers. Join us in our global mission to empower and grow local economies.
About the Role
As Country Counsel for Japan, you’ll have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance and working closely with the management teams to drive strategic initiatives forward across the region. (TL;DR: exciting stuff!). This is an opportunity at a dynamic and fast-growing company, where you’ll work on a variety of legal issues and help to drive our success in Japan.
We’ve built a strong reputation within the company for our confident, supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re team players and we’re always looking for ways to grow and excel together. Join us!
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Support our businesses with legal advice on a broad range of operational and business matters spanning intellectual property, employment, privacy, competition, regulatory and consumer law.
- Advise, draft, and negotiate a wide range of contracts with third parties such as marketing partners, suppliers, and restaurants.
- Manage litigation and investigations that may arise from time to time.
- Instruct external law firms and external counsel as required; Synthesise input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders to provide practical guidance applicable to the teams you advise.
- Collaborate with our legal teams in the United States HQ to ensure standardisation and alignment on legal matters.
We’re excited about you because…
- You’re able to work autonomously while exercising sound judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- You love technology and like to discuss the technical details.
- You have a proven ability to balance legal risk and business objectives.
- You have a positive attitude and high EQ. No job is too big or too small!
- Qualification to practice law (bengoshi) in Japan with approximately 5 -7 years PQE.
- Background in commercial law with reputable law firms or as an in-house counsel, ideally with e-commerce or internet companies.
- Experience in fast-paced, startup/technology, entrepreneurial environments will be an advantage.
- Commercially astute and pragmatic with a strong bias for action, with demonstrated influencing and interpersonal skills.
- A creative legal mind and a sense of adventure are all required, and someone who can work in both structured and unstructured environments.
- Excellent communication skills with native level Japanese and English fluency (our working language).
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are strategic - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - We are committed to our clients and connected through our vision of “Delivering Good”
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive benefits
- You will be proud to say that you work for DoorDash and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favourite local and national businesses in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to thrive.