About the Team
The Finance and Strategy team accelerates the growth of our business by implementing new opportunities and solutions and building the financial infrastructure and rigor to support the scale of the business. We partner with teams across the company to improve the profitability, scalability and defensibility of our business model - delivering financial predictability, business accountability and insights to optimize decisions and resourcing. We're looking for strategic thinkers who can model the future, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively to help carry projects from conception through execution.
About the Role
We are looking for a passionate, experienced Actuary who will be a member of DoorDash's Corporate Risk & Insurance function within the Finance & Strategy team, and will focus both on third party insurance programs as well as utilization of our newly created captive insurance company. As one of the first actuaries at DoorDash, you'll have the rare opportunity to come in at the program formulation stage of DoorDash's Captive and to help inform operational strategy and enable optimal structuring of insurance programs. This self-starting individual will have the unique opportunity to help build out the actuarial foundation at a growing company.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Build efficient, internal actuarial pricing and/or reserving models and processes across multiple lines of business and geographies, monitor loss trends/development and communicate relevant business implications to management team
- Leverage your domain expertise in conducting internal actuarial analyses to allow comparison to and validation of 3rd party analyses, with an emphasis on the commercial auto line of business
- Serve as a key partner to the Accounting & Finance teams in ensuring the accuracy of insurance reserves in DoorDash's financial reporting process
- Create streamlined tools and conduct quantitative analyses to help inform operational strategy, enable optimal structuring of insurance programs, and assist company risk management efforts.
We're excited about you because you have…
- Domain expertise with actuarial analysis and experience building sophisticated actuarial models
- 5+ years of Property & Casualty actuarial experience
- BA/BS degree & FCAS (preferable) or ACAS designation
- Experience working with commercial auto insurance in a reserving and/or pricing capacity
- Prior experience working with or for a gig or sharing economy company
- Experience working with a Captive a plus
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to clearly explain/teach complex insurance actuarial terms and techniques to internal stakeholders at all levels
- Comfort working with Excel/VBA, SQL, R, and Python
- Forward-looking approach to actuarial work
Why You'll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It's something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - We're not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it's scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we've been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer-obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That's why we hire and cultivate diverse teams from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.