About the Team
DoorDash is growing fast and we’re looking for an Employee Relations (ER) Specialist to join our People team supporting our new business verticals. At DoorDash, people are our most important asset. The People team works closely with leaders across our business to align people and strategy.
About the Role
As an employee relations specialist, you will not only focus on reactive support (i.e., complex internal investigations involving violations of policy and/or applicable law, conflict management), but also help build foundational educational and proactive support infrastructure as we scale. More specifically, you are a strategic, innovative, and thoughtful partner, with great judgment and a strong ability to navigate employee relations situations. The ideal candidate will be able to assess organizational risk, be a creative problem solver and be able to bring solutions to complex situations. You will collaborate with the rest of the People team to develop and execute innovative programs that will be a catalyst to our high-performance culture. This role is ideal for candidates based out of Chicago, IL, or Cincinnati, OH, but will be primarily a work from home position.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Manage employee complaints and issues involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation.
- Provide support to the larger HR team related to worker’s compensation claims, disability claims (reasonable accommodation versus undue hardship), wage and hour, and/or unlawful or inappropriate conduct or other legal issues.
- Conduct internal investigations both independently and under the direction of the ER Manager.
- Maintain accurate, timely, and required documentation to ensure quality employee relations records and metrics.
- Utilize a strong understanding of company policy, culture and values to provide recommendations in partnership with the ER Manager, HR Business Partners, and legal counsel.
- Engage as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert to coach employees and managers on sensitive work-related issues.
- Develop and execute employee relations efforts. This will include planning and coaching executives and managers on best practices.
- Support and coach employees utilizing best in class conflict management practices.
- Manage employee concerns escalated from DoorDash’s Ethics and Compliance Hotline.
- Prioritize between longer-term proactive projects and real-time issue resolution.
We’re excited about you because…
- You’re an operator and influencer - you have a bias towards action, recognize issues, and implement the solution.
- You’re a strong multi-tasker with an exceptional ability to prioritize and manage time effectively – you naturally focus on the right things and can seamlessly move between projects & tasks, without losing sight of what's important to do.
- You’re naturally curious and have a self-starter personality – you always look for ways to innovate and improve, and don't need to wait for people to tell you what to work on. You can't help but ask what, why, and how.
- You’re an outstanding communicator with relationship-building skills – your friends would call you authentic, energetic, persuasive, and self-aware. You know when to listen and when to speak up.
- You have an owner mentality – you can't remember the last time you said "that's not my problem."
- You are gritty and able to hustle – you get things done even after everyone else has given up, and work hard because you love to. You have a bias towards action.
- You’re passionate about helping and empowering others.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of HR experience with at least 2 of those being specific employee relations experience.
- You have experience working in a fast-paced, high-performance culture where the business is constantly evolving, including experience working with employees in a warehouse environment.
- You have a deep knowledge of U.S. employment law.
- You have previous experience working with legal counsel/HRBPs to comply with HR policies and federal and state employment laws.
- You have experience working with distributed, non-exempt employee populations.
- PHR or SPHR certifications are a plus.
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
We're committed to supporting employees' happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That's why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on "protected categories," we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.