DoorDash Labs is an independent team within DoorDash. We explore robotics and automation to transform last mile logistics in the long term. If you have a passion for applying robotics solutions in a service used by millions of people, we want to talk to you!
We’re hiring a systems software engineer to own the low level infrastructure of our robotic system. This is the backbone on which the robot's autonomy system will run. This includes the compute (CPU/GPU), middleware layer, common libraries and dependencies of our robotic system on other software. In this role, you'll work on enhancing features of our middleware, understanding performance bottlenecks and improving them, deciding on compute hardware, and building tools for diagnosing issues.
What You’ll Do
- Own the robot infrastructure and tooling, and drive this program forward as requirements evolve
- Collaborate with various subsystem owners including mapping, localization, perception, and motion planning to understand requirements of robot infrastructure and tools
- Develop efficient, scalable, and maintainable C++ code
- Debug and fix critical performance bottlenecks
- BS/MS degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Electrical, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science/Systems, Data Science, Math, Physics, or related technical field
- 5+ years experience developing low level systems software (operating systems, including real-time compilers)
- 5+ years of large C/C++ codebase experience
- Good knowledge of Unix/Linux operating system
- Deep respect and understanding of functional safety
Nice To Haves
- Familiarity with ROS, ROS2, Apex, Autoware, Apollo or other autonomy stack
- Familiarity with GPU programming
- Familiarity with MATLAB/Simulink and embedded systems development
- Experience with real-time operating systems
- Experience writing drivers and interacting with sensors and other hardware
- Prior experience in the self-driving vehicle space developing robotics software
- Experience with relevant safety standards, including ISO 26262, Safety of the Intended Functionality (SOTIF/ISO 21448), or UL 4600
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer-obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in all 50 US states, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash Engineering blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.