DoorDash Labs is an independent team within DoorDash. We explore robotics and automation to transform last mile logistics in the long term. If you have a passion for applying robotics solutions in a service used by millions of people, then we want to talk to you!
We’re hiring software engineers to develop best in class teleoperation software to assist our autonomy systems. In this role, you’ll work with multiple stakeholders including Product, Engineering (hardware and software), and Operations on a variety of projects across the autonomy space. You’ll be designing and implementing the user experience for operators to assist our robots to safely navigate complex situations.
What You’ll Do
- Define technical requirements, design, and test systems to remotely control our self-driving robots safely
- Systematically test and implement improvements to our teleoperator experience
- Triage issues by identifying failure modes and behavior patterns to develop insights that feed back into the development cycle
- Create dashboards and communicate safety statuses and insights
- Plan out, roadmap and grow our teleoperation capabilities and team as our robot is hardened, scaled, and certified
What We’re Looking For
- Understanding of different aspects of human performance issues and mitigations for remotely operating robots, especially self-driving vehicles
- BS/MS degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace Engineering, or Computer Science/Systems, Math, Physics, or related technical field
- 5+ years developing software in small teams with experience in C++
- 1+ years experience in building UI/UX
- Industry experience with 3D graphics
- Experience working with Linux operating systems
Nice to Haves
- Experience designing solutions to manage the effects of variable latency, variable bandwidth, and packet loss on task performance and workload for remote driving scenarios
- Experience with software/hardware failure scenarios of highly autonomous vehicles
- Experience with driving simulation, predictive displays, driver-support systems, sensor/perception augmented displays, and representation of uncertain information
- Experience with Human-Robot Interaction for motion planning
- Unity 3D or Unreal Engine development, 3D rendering, GPU coding experience
- Familiarity with requirements for teleoperation for autonomous vehicle testing
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer-obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in all 50 US states, Canada, and Australia. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash Engineering blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.