At DoorDash, our customers are at the center of our product strategy and we deeply believe that an amazing customer experience is the key to our success. While other teams at DoorDash focus on our merchants, Dashers (delivery drivers), and support agents, the Consumer team focuses squarely on our end users: customers placing orders through our web, iOS, and Android apps.
The Consumer team is responsible for defining and creating the entire customer journey: onboarding, restaurant discovery, building and placing an order, delivery tracking and support, DashPass (our subscription service), and much more. Additionally, the Consumer team operates both the DoorDash and Caviar apps, two separate products that share common features but are optimized for unique consumer audiences.
We’re looking for a design manager to join the Consumer design team in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles or Seattle. This is an opportunity to shape the product vision alongside cross-functional leaders, mentor a talented group of designers, and grow the team to support future product needs. You’ll solve complex, meaningful design problems and make decisions that directly affect millions of customers.
What You’ll Do
- Actively practice and evangelize customer-centric thinking
- Partner with cross-functional leads (Product, Engineering, Analytics, Operations, Brand) to define the vision for our Consumer products
- Align the team’s priorities and deliverables with the company’s overarching strategy and goals
- Partner with other design managers to define a holistic strategy for our entire product suite
- Recruit talented designers for your team
- Coach and mentor designers on both soft and hard skills and help them develop and achieve their career goals
- Build a culture and environment that elevates the team’s performance and morale
- Establish processes and practices that increase the team’s effectiveness
- Be an inspirational leader who brings creativity, vision, commitment, and persistence to the team
- You thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- You exhibit a strong bias toward action
- You’re a proactive problem solver, not just a problem identifier
- You’re curious and eager to go above and beyond the job description
- You’re comfortable navigating through ambiguity and complexity
- You’re an effective collaborator and partner for your cross-functional peers
- You stand up for product quality
- You’re a respected leader who knows how to motivate a team
- You support the growth and development of your design team
- You attract talented designers
- You’re an excellent storyteller and effective communicator
- You exude a can-do attitude and enthusiasm
- You are self-aware and humble
- Portfolio showcasing outstanding product craftsmanship, problem-solving skills, and customer focus. You must provide a link to your portfolio (and password, if applicable) to be considered for this role.
- Past experience as a designer for consumer products
- Fluency in the latest product design trends, tools, and technologies
- 7+ years of experience in design
- Experience either mentoring or managing a team
- DoorDash is currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic. When we return to our offices (TBD 2021), you must work in San Francisco, Mountain View, Los Angeles, or Seattle and you’ll manage a team of designers in San Francisco.
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Check out what’s the latest with DoorDash:
DoorDash Design website: https://doordash.design/
DoorDash Design blog: https://medium.com/design-doordash
DoorDash blog: https://blog.doordash.com/
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.