Come help us build the world's most reliable on-demand logistics engine for delivery! We're bringing on talented scientists/engineers to help us create the real-time logistics platform that powers DoorDash’s three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement improvements to our real-time on-demand dispatching algorithm
- Analyze data to understand each delivery at the lowest level of detail, perform cutting-edge research, and inspire new lines of work
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, product managers, business operators, and more to develop cross-cutting and scalable solutions to drive value for our consumers, dashers, and merchants
- Receive actionable feedback and coaching from your mentor and team members
- Socialize with and learn from colleagues all across the company, through events including Lunch and Learns with executive members, game nights, movie nights, intern offsites, and more
- Present your summer accomplishments to the company during Demo Day at the end of the internship
- PhD. or masters student in operations research, industrial engineering, computer science or a related field graduating in Winter 2021 or Spring 2022
- Research or industry experience working on complex optimization problems through mathematical programming or metaheuristics
- Strong programming fundamentals, experience in object oriented and/or functional programming languages, and a solid understanding of algorithms
- Strong communication skills
- Excited to analyze, iterate, and contribute to our state-of-the-art real-time dispatch system
Nice to haves
- Experience developing algorithms for logistics problems, especially VRP and real time dispatching problem
- Experience with mathematical programming software packages like Cplex, Gurobi, Coin-OR, or Xpress
- Production experience with a JVM-based language (ie Java, Kotlin, Scala, etc)
- Experience with software development lifecycle (writing clean code, version control, unit testing, etc)
- Production experience with modern web applications at scale
- Experience with statistical analysis and machine learning algorithms
- Proficient with SQL and a visualization tool (ie Tableau, Chartio, Mode, etc)
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.