The Analytics team is looking for Data Scientists to drive measurement, strategy, and tactical decision-making across the company. You’ll be solving problems that range from customer acquisition to balancing supply and demand to new city launches to marketplace efficiency. You’ll be designing and analyzing A/B tests for new product features, generating and sizing opportunities to prioritize new initiatives, and defining key performance metrics for the team. Data Scientists at DoorDash work cross-functionally to uncover insights and turn them into actionable recommendations.
The ideal candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You will be a great fit if you have a strong bias towards action, enjoy finding patterns amidst chaos, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to drive business impact. We’re looking for someone who has the technical skills to surface insights quickly, and the interpersonal skills to communicate those insights in a way that persuades action. This position will begin as an individual contributor role with opportunity to build out a team in the future.
What you’ll do
- Use quantitative analysis and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand what drives our business
- Mentor and guide junior analysts on how to use more advanced methods to solve problems
- Provide insights to help business and product leaders understand marketplace dynamics, user behaviors, and long-term trends
- Identify and quantify levers to help move key metrics
- Recommend which features to build and why
- Generate recommendations and use statistical techniques and hypothesis testing to validate your findings. This includes:
- Performing analytical deep-dives to identify problems, opportunities and actions required;
- Collecting, processing, and cleaning data from disparate sources using SQL, R, Python, or other scripting and statistical tools; and
- Managing the design, execution, and analysis of experiments; driving rigor and testing culture through product and operations teams
- Report against company initiatives by identifying key metrics and building executive-facing dashboards to track progress
- Monitor key performance metrics, understanding root causes of changes
- Build data sets and reporting tables to empower operational and exploratory analysis
- Partner with engineering to implement, document, validate, and monitor our logging
- Represent the analytics team in key meetings and business reviews with our executive team and founders
- 5+ years of experience in a data analytics, consulting, or other quantitative role
- Examples of relevant experience include: Funnel optimization, user segmentation, cohort analyses, time series analyses, regression models, etc.
- Experience with analyzing both client side and server side tracking a plus
- An ability to write very complex SQL queries. ETL experience a plus
- Proficiency in one or more analytics & visualization tools (e.g. Chartio, Looker, Tableau)
- A deep understanding of statistical analysis (e.g. hypothesis testing, experimentation, regressions) and familiarity with statistical packages, such as Matlab, R, SAS or Python
- Strong business judgment. You've got the ability to take ambiguous problems and solve them in a structured, hypothesis-driven, data-supported way
- Self-starter attitude. You’re someone who can initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Get-it-done mindset. You’re not afraid of long hours, able to handle stress well, humble and scrappy!
- A Degree in Math, Physics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or other quantitative field
Founded in 2013, DoorDash is a San Francisco-based technology company passionate about transforming local businesses and dedicated to enabling new ways of working, earning, and living. Today, DoorDash connects customers with their favorite local and national restaurants in more than 1,000 cities across the United States and Canada. By building intelligent, last-mile delivery technology for local cities, DoorDash aims to connect people with the things they care about — one dash at a time.