DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States bring classroom dreams to life.
The Marketing & Community team is responsible for driving classroom funding from individual donors and hitting both our total revenue goal and driving goal (dollars to Equity Focus schools) each fiscal year. This school year, we’re aiming to bring over 600K individuals to give $90M to drive equitable access to resources in classrooms nationwide. Housed within the larger M&C team, the Donor Relationships team is responsible for identifying and building relationships with our most generous supporters.
Reporting to the Donor Relationships Manager, the Donor Researcher will gather information on DonorsChoose donors and identify supporters for one to one outreach and cultivation.
In this role, you will focus on:
- Thanking donors who give via their Donor Advised Funds and/or other charitable giving account(s), as the first step in our donor cultivation
- Surfacing donors through our research process, while inviting them to engage with the Donor Relationships Team on a 1:1 level
You will also work on projects and daily tasks such as:
- Following a predetermined workflow: thanking, researching, and elevating donors to appropriate colleague’s at the org
- Providing support on engagement practices that have been created for this specific audience and assisting with monitoring performance of those tactics
- Using Google and the DonorsChoose database to research this audience in order to identify and create high-value engagement opportunities
- Recording research findings in Salesforce and reporting on those findings in detail, as relevant
- Identifying stand-out donors and bringing them to the attention of the Donor Relationships Manager, the CEO, and other relevant teams
- Personally thanking this subset of researched donors through email
- Answering questions about donations by email and phone and working with our Finance team to confirm and expedite payments
- Executing one-off projects aimed at bringing inclusion and diversity to the donor research process, driving engagement, and/or delighting specific donors
- Participating in team meetings and presentations, as relevant
- You love solving mysteries and learning more about people. You never miss a chance to Google a person before meeting them.
- You find it easy to keep your tone warm and thoughtful, whether it’s over email, via text, or on the phone.
- You find joy in the little things. You love performing small actions that can have a great impact.
- You value the richness of connection, and you stay organized to not let people slip through communication cracks.
- You pay attention to details. You catch even the small things, and will be sure to include the word “opposite” in your application response.
- You have a knack for knowing who your audience is and how best to interact with and delight them. You get a rush from figuring out the exact right gift for a special occasion or person.
- You’re confident when interacting with external contacts in a professional manner.
- You’re a great teammate who always pitches in to help.
- You’re committed to our mission to support public school teachers and drive racial equity in education, and energized by sharing that passion with others.
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring hourly range for this role is $17.00 - $21.00
- We have a hiring hourly range of $18.00 - $23.00 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once employees are hired, the hourly range for their role increases to ensure that employees are able to receive performance-based raises and grow in their role.
We are open to a variety of experiences, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that’s the case, an updated hourly range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
- Hours: Flexible schedules with 15 guaranteed hours per week. Can vary between 15 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible, with a highly flexible focus on org-wide collaborator hours from 12pm ET - 5pm ET
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Stacy Perrault, Donor Relationships Manager.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.