Many of our employees are still working remotely due to COVID-19 safety protocols. While we reopen our office in phases, employees have the flexibility to work from home until January 2023.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the Team
Our Partnerships Team will raise more than $54M for public school classrooms through creative, collaborative partnerships with our corporate and foundation partnerships this school year. The Partnership Activation Team ensures a seamless experience for our internal and external stakeholders by bringing the standard elements of partnerships to life, building systems that scale and improve on our partner offerings, and advocating for partner needs.
About the Role
In this role, you’ll gain a nuanced understanding of the processes and technical aspects of our partnership products that power our partnerships’ success. You'll work closely with our highly collaborative Activation team and our Partnerships colleagues to understand our partner’s business goals, leverage our standard processes to meet them, and use them as jumping off points when we get to be creative in how to reach those goals. In this role, you get to be curious, make connections and find solutions, navigate immediate challenges and ideate on areas of improvement for the future scalability of our partnerships.
Activate our partnerships:
- Activate our partnership products (ex. match offers, promo codes, gift cards and project funding initiatives) and create impact reports for our partners.
- How this might look: Becoming cross-trained on our processes, relying on a standard handoff-process between the Partnership Managers and our team, to receive the details necessary to launch a partnership. These processes rely on a data-informed standard turnaround time that creates shared expectations with our Partnership colleagues, allowing us to consistently set-up, test, and launch our standard products, as well as creating the capacity to be flexible, nimble, and responsive to meet partnership goals when needed.
- Support and consult with internal stakeholders on partnership product/process related questions, challenges and requests.
- Take the operational steps that will meet partnership commitments that may fall outside of our typical standard products (ex. special reports and metrics to share partner impact, special sponsorship benefit execution).
Scale the implementation methods of partnership activation and continue to deliver the best experience to internal and external stakeholders:
- Improve our standard processes to reduce manual work, improve the product, and provide a great user-experience.
- Outline Standard Work Instructions for the steps required to implement our products. Manage and update documentation as we continue to revise our processes.
- How this might look: Creating or updating our core documentation as we gain new learnings and fresh perspectives, and improve the language of these oft-used documents. This makes them robust tools to help us QA test every process as we aim to bring partnerships to life successfully. Our core documents are effective training and reference tools that provide a blueprint for task success to allow for expeditious cross-training, and flexibility through capacity.
- Collaborate with your teammates on how we can leverage our current tools and find new tools to automate and create systems to streamline our workflows.
Advocate for partners by working with internal stakeholders to share feedback and outline partnerships:
- Create internal communication tools to clearly transition the details for partnership activation.
- How this might look: Noticing a point of friction our Partnership colleagues are facing as they share information with our team through Salesforce that causes us to not get complete information needed for a launch. Then, take that issue-area to figure out a solution that you present to address the issue now and in the future.
- Manage processes for communications across teams to show full details of a partnership or campaigns.
- Manage special projects that support the goals of the Partnerships teams.
This position might be for you if:
- You're thorough, detail-oriented and diligent when it comes to following a process.
- You enjoy connecting with and are curious about people, and you constantly think about how to improve their experience with each of your interactions.
- You are tech-savvy and you quickly pick-up new apps/tools. (Often excitedly bringing them into your daily life).
- You are comfortable in detailed conversations with UX folks and/or developers.
- You are a planner who budgets your time. Your project management skills are top-notch and you enjoy having a deadline to help you back-plan, parsing out specific steps as you create a plan to meet your clearly defined goal.
- You can point to a clear approach to manage the various time commitments and goals in your life, taking proactive steps to make sure you’re not in a bind.
- You love to think of ways to make a process easier and more user friendly. (In fact, hiccups in a process and disorganization inspire you to evaluate, organize and streamline).
- When faced with challenges, you get excited, curious and want to take action. So much so that you thrive in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment where your knowledge can be applied with greater frequency and depth.
- You love analyzing data and picking out trends. You often cite data when you're telling stories.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Dorthea Damaskos, Senior Manager, Partnership Activation.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.