Many of our employees are still working remotely due to COVID-19 safety protocols. While we reopen our office in phases, employees have the flexibility to work from home until January 2023.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 5 million supporters have donated over $1B to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 600K public school classrooms, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team. Our goal this school year is to bring over 600K individuals to give $80M to drive equitable access to resources in America’s classrooms. We achieve these goals through strong email and digital marketing, community building, high touch relationship cultivation, and word-of-mouth programs.
DonorsChoose is seeking a Senior Manager, Digital & Growth Marketing to strategically grow our revenue and teacher base through new acquisition channels, oversee continued growth of our email program, and bring data and technology expertise to our team. In this role, you will identify and execute on the highest leverage opportunities to bring on new, individual donors to DonorsChoose, guide our email and digital marketing strategy and deftly manage a small team and robust tech stack to bring impactful ideas to life.
Build out new channels for growth
- Identify opportunities to acquire new donors by analyzing our current traffic sources alongside our Product and Brand teams and incorporating industry best practices
- Test and build new approaches to growth such as ad strategies, word-of-mouth loops, and email acquisition flows
- Advocate for the importance of new channels and be the team member to usher them forward with gusto
Oversee our $30M+ a year email marketing program and experienced team
- Develop outstanding lifecycle marketing tactics for onboarding, retention and winback segments; determine gaps in our email program and conceptualize new email drip campaigns alongside our Senior Manager, Email & Lifecycle Marketing
- Work with our Brand and Partnerships teams on the digital side of major campaigns (such as Back-to-School and Teacher Appreciation Week), to maximize dollars raised through digital channels
- Develop and strengthen relationships with our marketing technology vendors and consultants; utilize those relationships to bring opportunities (and discounts!) to the organization and stay up to date on new features we should explore to drive team efficiency and revenue
Strategic & Team Leadership
- Create and execute an innovative, cost-effective strategy across digital channels to drive online revenue and teacher engagement for the organization
- Track ROI and results from every project and across your business area; synthesize information to clearly communicate key learnings and recommendations
- Manage 2-3 team members to usher this work forward
- Watch and report on return and new donor metrics, along with owned channel specific numbers
- Be an expert on our user psychology and lifecycle behaviors
- Stay on the cutting-edge of marketing tools and strategies; research and advocate for high impact tools and integrations
This position is right for you if:
- You’re a dynamic leader, strategic planner and proven project manager who can zoom in and out in a matter of seconds
- You want to manage a team and have a passion for developing or mentoring teammates to drive performance, and satisfaction and individual growth
- You’re highly technical, comfortable learning a new marketing technology tool quickly and have proven experience with data analysis and marketing technology tools (we use Looker, Simon Data, and the Facebook ads console, to name a few)
- You’re committed to our mission to support public school teachers and students, and energized by sharing that passion with others. You’re eager to drive racial equity in education and have comfort speaking about race personally and/or professionally
- You love designing experiments and have a proven track record of learning and iterating quickly to drive results
- You’re conscious of ROI and obsess over results. You strive for impact first and creativity second and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty
- You have a technical bent and advanced analytical skills, but people also note your strengths in communication and collaboration
- You’re autonomous, able to organize and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines with minimal oversight
- You’re a marketer at heart; you notice daily how other companies are driving action and how those lessons might apply to your business
- You enjoy working in a fast paced environment
- You have 5-7 years of experience in marketing or a related field; we’re open to someone who has been an incredible individual contributor and wants to manage as well as seasoned managers
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Abby Feuer, EVP Marketing & Growth. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.