The DonorsChoose offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we're all working remotely. We plan to reopen our offices when safe, and this role will report out of our New York office in midtown Manhattan by January 2023.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The Finance & Fulfillment Team builds relationships and systems to protect the financial integrity of our organization, and ensure the right resource or experience is delivered to teachers without delay. You'll help deliver on the core mission of our organization by leveraging best-in-class fulfillment and customer service practices to ensure that materials get to the right place at the right time.
Within the Finance & Fulfillment Team, the Business Relations subteam manages relationships with our 20+ technically-integrated vendors; advocates for teacher-focused improvements; and identifies opportunities for improved vendor performance. Our Business Relations colleagues are excellent problem solvers and are at the forefront of collaborating with our Vendor Community to help delight teachers and students with classroom materials.
The Business Relations Assistant role provides critical support for our team’s responsibility of getting funded materials into classrooms. Our team establishes and builds relationships with vendors to help them fully understand our model and connect to our organization’s mission. We want vendor teams to appreciate the power of each classroom story behind seemingly generic purchase orders, so they can better understand, advocate and champion DonorsChoose priorities within their company.
We leverage item-level data to give real-time feedback to our 20+ vendors to help streamline processes and gain efficiencies in their performance. We work closely with vendor teams to identify and address resource availability issues and support inventory forecasting. We share best practices and offer ongoing support to ensure vendor teams have the tools they need to adhere to our unique policies.
We are looking for friendly, confident teammates to provide exceptional assistance to our vendor roster to support the growing community of public school teachers using our website. If you are motivated by our mission and get a thrill from helping people, we want to hear from you!
In this role you will...
- Support and inspire our growing Vendor Community
- Provide account support to vendor teams, such as by connecting them with the information and data they need to be successful, and answering questions on everything from vendor requirements to escalated customer service issues
- Identify, resolve, and escalate sensitive or urgent vendor-related issues as needed to support our Fulfillment Operations & Strategy and Customer Support teams
- Work with other members of the Business Relations team to collect ideas and draft language for vendor-facing content (weekly newsletters; surveys) and identify which content should be shared in the Vendor Hub
- Contribute to team-wide vendor engagement efforts, such as webinars and our annual Vendor Summit (both virtually and, eventually, in-person)
- Assist with vendor team trainings
- Identify opportunities to improve our procedures, trainings, policies, and tools to support business rules and teacher shopping experience
- Connect the Vendor Community to our DonorsChoose mission
- Build relationships with vendor teams to help them understand and align with DonorsChoose mission and org priorities by supporting regular vendor touchpoints
- Inform vendor teams of DonorsChoose model adjustments and shifts in strategy as we adapt to meet shifting teacher, school, and district needs
- Assist in data-driven vendor feedback/org reporting to ensure a seamless teacher experience
The right candidate is motivated by our mission and shares our core values of: relentlessness, user focus, flexibility, ingenuity, teamwork, and transparency. We seek a team player who is/has:
- Highly organized, very thorough and detail-oriented (nothing gets past you!), and able to coordinate and prioritize multiple activities simultaneously
- A problem-solving, solution-focused philosophy; belief in continuous improvement; and a customer-focused mindset
- Comfortable with repetitive tasks while alert to workload trends
- Data analysis experience and ability to apply critical thinking lens to data
- Self-motivated and can successfully incorporate feedback for professional growth
- Solid computer literacy foundation –
- Experience in Office/Google Workspace, especially Excel/Sheets
- Tech-savvy, comfortable in online environment, and willing to learn new systems
- Committed to racial equity
- You are excited to play a role in our evolution to more directly address racial inequity in education.
- A recent graduate, current student, or professional who is motivated to work part-time for a mission-driven non-profit organization. A bachelor’s degree is not required.
- Hours: Flexible hours between 20-25 hours a week.
- Location: Ability to eventually commute into our NYC office (based in Midtown), by January 2023 at the earliest
- Compensation: Starting at $17 per hour
Please submit your application online, and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Tanisha Golding, Senior Business Relations Associate.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.