The DonorsChoose offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we're all working remotely. We plan to reopen our offices soon, and this role will report out of our New York office in midtown Manhattan by January 2023.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
Marketing & Community Team Overview
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team, as part of the Donor Relationships subteam. Our goal this school year is to inspire more than 600,000 individuals to give $70,000,000 to the 130,000 teachers who will post classroom projects on our website. To drive this funding and teacher participation, we: 1) Build connections between our organization, teachers, partners and donors; 2) Empower and educate our community of teachers to be successful on DonorsChoose; 3) Inspire new and repeat givers to support classroom projects; 4) Listen to our teachers and donors to determine and advocate for their needs.
As a Researcher and Moderator, you would be key to helping us build relationships with our most engaged donors and teachers.
In this role, you’ll focus on:
- researching and thanking individual donors who give through the DonorsChoose website as the first step in building relationships with them; and
- moderating posts, answering questions, and reporting on trends within our online teacher community, so that it remains a warm, safe, and organized space.
And will work on projects and daily tasks such as:
- Using Google and the DonorsChoose database to research our most generous supporters and corporate / foundation partners in order to identify and create high-value engagement opportunities
- Recording research findings in Salesforce
- Identifying stand-out donors and bringing them to the attention of the Donor Relationships Manager, the CEO, and other relevant teams
- Personally thanking a subset of researched donors through email
- Answering questions about donations by email and phone
- Executing one-off projects aimed at bringing inclusion and diversity to the donor research process, driving engagement, and/or delighting specific donors
- Supporting Marketing colleagues in email outreach during busy times of the year
- Participation in team meetings and and presentations
- You love solving mysteries and learning more about people. You never miss a chance to Google a person before meeting them.
- You find it easy to keep your tone warm and thoughtful, whether it’s over email, on social media, or on the phone.
- You find joy in the little things. You love performing small actions that can have a great impact.
- You pay attention to details. You catch even the small things, and will be sure to include the word “opposite” in your cover letter.
- You have a knack for knowing who your audience is and how best to interact with and delight them. You get a rush from figuring out the exact right gift for a special occasion or person.
- You’re confident when interacting with external contacts in a professional manner.
- You’re a great teammate who always pitches in to help.
- Hours: Flexible schedules with 15 guaranteed hours per week. Can vary between 15 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible between the hours of 9 am - 7 pm.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in midtown Manhattan.
- Compensation: Starting at $17 per hour
Please apply online by submitting your resume, and a cover letter addressed to Di Zhao, Donor Relationships Manager.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.