DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the People Operations Team
The People Operations team ensures that our staff can remain laser-focused on advancing the DonorsChoose mission. We deliver a positive, productive, safe, and equitable experience for our staff. We lead the thinking around how to motivate and retain our amazing team.
We are looking for a teammate to provide exceptional assistance to our growing community. If you are motivated by our mission and are passionate about operations and facilities, we want to hear from you!
Who We’re Looking For:
This is an exciting opportunity to help us re-open our offices (New York & San Francisco) and help us reimagine a workplace of the future! We are currently working remotely, however, we’re planning our return to the office in August and this person will be a key player in the planning, preparation, operation, and execution of the transition of those plans. Upon hiring, the Office Experience Manager will be required to work in the NY office every day and will report to the Director, Equity & Experience.
We are seeking an experienced office manager who has a passion for culture-building and is eager to support every member of the team in our New York and San Francisco offices, as well as those who are working remotely. The Office Experience Manager will ensure that the team is working in safe, accessible, functional, and comfortable workspaces. In this role, they will be responsible for owning the day-to-day office operations and will be the go-to person for employees and vendors for all things office related. The ideal candidate is organized, process oriented, and enjoys solving administrative challenges to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency, and safety.
What You’ll Do:
Return to Office
- Support the planning and execution of returning to the office by implementing COVID policies and protocols that emphasize the health and safety of the office, and ensuring our team is following all safety protocols.
- Manage our return-to-office process, including overseeing maintenance and construction, coordinating furniture and office layout rearrangements, purchasing supplies, and assisting staff with office requests.
- Develop organizational procedures and systems for employees as we re-enter the office.
- Support staff with desk and space setup for transitioning back to the office after working remote.
- Serve as the primary contact for office-related needs, including managing all day-to-day operations of the NY + SF office and supporting overall business continuity and office operational efficiency.
- Manage the front desk by assisting employees and vendors, manage mail and packages (including outbound mailings), and respond to office requests both in person and via Slack.
- Provide high-touch support to our staff throughout the work day, ensuring colleagues have material resources and a comfortable environment to do their best work.
- Maintain a high-functioning office which includes: daily maintenance of appearance of common areas and meeting spaces, overseeing office supply orders and inventory, kitchen refreshments, as well as equipment and appliances.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and manage relationships with building management and vendors to ensure a clean and efficiently operating office; oversee and coordinate office maintenance for facility issues, repairs, cleanings, and improvements.
- Negotiate and manage vendor contracts; maintain office budget and process invoices and expenses.
- Manage, maintain, and improve office policies around security and emergency action planning; manage security cards and office security systems. Take the lead role when responding to building and facility alarms and emergencies.
- Manage and improve administrative processes by identifying improvements and implementing solutions that save time and improve accuracy.
- Coordinate office events (when safe) such as All Hands by setting up and breaking down space, in collaboration with IT.
- Coordinate staff birthday and anniversary acknowledgements and other appreciation initiatives.
- Plan and execute staff engagement events.
- Work on ad hoc projects that relate to subteam goals.
As the Office Experience Manager, you are the organization’s facility point of contact and may need to work some atypical hours like early mornings or evenings to accommodate office repairs or maintenance. This role also includes limited travel to our San Francisco office (at most, 3-5 times per year).
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have 2-3 years of full-time work experience in an administrative/office management role. You enjoy administrative work just as much as helping people.
- Have strong project management skills. You can identify problems, propose solutions, and execute. You have experience with creating more efficient processes and workflows that provide seamless user experiences.
- Are a self-starter who likes to take initiative in order to provide exemplary service to stakeholders. You’re willing to do some of the smaller tasks, no job is above you and you’re willing to help out as needed.
- Are highly organized and detail oriented, ensuring tasks are completed thoroughly and correctly. You notice the little things and are excited to spend time making it nice.
- Can manage multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to prioritize effectively and work independently.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills. You create easy-to-follow standard operating procedures and can answer any question from stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a passion for delivering a high level of customer service. You proactively build relationships with staff to better understand their needs.
Strong applicants will also have:
- Experience managing a hybrid office or a strong interest in learning more and developing their skills and experience in this area.
- Previous experience working with building systems (such as HVAC) and maintenance vendors.
- Creative mindset to deliver employee experience initiatives and events
- At least 1 year of staff supervision experience
- A belief that the core work of a People Operations team is to create a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace -- and ideas on how to make that happen.
All staff entering the office are required to be vaccinated. Additionally, final round interviews and job training will be conducted in person at the NY office.
Work environment and physical demands
We operate in a bustling open office environment in which sensory input is a constant. While performing the duties of this job, the Office Experience Manager is regularly required to talk or hear. The Office Experience Manager is frequently required to stand; walk; and exercise fine motor skills. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Steve To, Director, Equity & Experience.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.