DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the Business Development Team
As part of the Marketing & Partnerships Team, the Business Development Team raises funds for teachers and students by designing and executing philanthropic partnerships with corporations and foundations. This year, we aim to raise $12M for public school classrooms through creative, collaborative partnerships with our institutional donors. (More about our partnerships.)
About the Role
The Business Development Associate is a critical role that supports the small-but-mighty Business Development subteam.
There are two “pitch quarterbacks” on the Business Development team who lead pitches to all first-time prospective partners for Donorschoose. As the third member of the team, the Business Development Associate runs all the support functions that keep the team moving and growing, and sits “shotgun” on conversations with companies considering major first-time support for the DonorsChoose mission.
In this role, you will:
- Provide administrative support on all proposed new partnerships
- Field inbound inquiries from companies and foundations looking to support DonorsChoose
- Schedule initial calls with new prospects
- Prepare research notes on prospects ahead of calls and meetings
- Prepare pitch decks
- Join video calls, and take notes
- Summarize next steps following calls and meetings
- Log all correspondence and details in Salesforce, our customer relationship management software
- Help to drive the team forward
- Organize team meetings, including managing a facilitator schedule
- Analyze and summarize topline statistics on how the team is performing, to be shared with other stakeholders across the organization
- Prepare data for quarterly business reviews
- Codify new processes
- Spot opportunities to improve team processes and productivity
Who you are:
- You’re committed to our mission to support public school teachers and students, and energized by sharing that passion with others.
- You’re extremely efficient and organized. People are always complimenting your to-do lists, and how you manage to fit so much into the day.
- You’re flexible, and excited to walk into a new challenge and schedule each day.
- You’re a learner. You love a good research project, and you’re comfortable pulling out the key details from a pile of research.
- You thrive helping others to succeed, and you feel proud when you can see that your work had an effect, even if that effect might have been partially behind the scenes.
- You have at least one year of relevant work experience.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your application online and address your cover letter to Ali Rosen, Head of Foundation Giving.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.