The DonorsChoose offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and we're all working remotely. We plan to reopen our offices when safe, and this role will report out of our New York office in midtown Manhattan.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $970 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose. one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About Trust & Safety Operations
The Trust & Safety Operations team makes DonorsChoose a charity people can trust. We protect the integrity of the DonorsChoose mission so that students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education. We do this by creating user-focused policies, developing systems to prevent fraud and ensure security, monitoring and taking swift action to investigate potential misuse, and more—all in support of fighting inequity, and particularly racial inequity, in public education.
About the Role
As our next Trust & Safety Manager, you are looking for more than just a job—you’re looking for an organization whose mission aligns with your values and a role where you can protect our customers and our organization from behind-the-scenes. You are eager to lead a high-performing part-time team focused on policy, risk management, and data integrity. In this role, you will report to the Director of Trust & Safety, and you will focus on:
- Formulate new policies and protocols to protect the integrity of our site, our data, and our promise to teachers and donors
Risk Management & Investigations
- Identify new ways to reduce financial and reputational risk for the organization: consult on new site features and campaigns, and create systems and process improvements to monitor and/or audit high-risk accounts and actions
- Review trends and patterns that indicate unusual activity on the site, Use data to build business cases for risk mitigation measures that protect the integrity of the organization, and report quarterly on risk management metrics
- Create and document streamlined processes to monitor risks and respond to high risk incidents
- Provide direction for, and take on, escalated or urgent investigations resulting from T&S policy and/or risk management efforts
- Manage uploads and reconciliations of school-related data that helps power our site
- Manage and train Trust & Safety team members
This position might be for you if you are:
- Mission driven. You care deeply about education and share our organization’s commitment to racial and economic equity in America’s public schools
- A seasoned project manager. You have a history of successfully prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously from start to finish
- Experienced. You have worked in a trust & safety, fraud/risk management, investigations, or customer service capacity
- An exceptional communicator and collaborator. You have significant experience working cross functionally, managing multiple stakeholders, and gaining buy-in
- Data- and process-oriented. You have excellent data analysis skills and are comfortable using data software to analyze risk, understand impact, and inform decision making (We use Looker)
- Calm under pressure. You display sound judgement and impartiality, even in high-pressure situations
- A tech-savvy problem solver. You have the ability to learn new systems and technology, and enthusiasm for solving technical problems or using technology to drill down to a root cause
- Flexible. You are eager to meet evolving team needs and take on new challenges
Not required, but let us know if you have:
- A firm understanding of Trust & Safety techniques, preferably with expertise in online platforms.
- Legal or law enforcement experience
- Experience using Zendesk, Looker, Google Analytics or other analytics tools
- Experience in K-12 education
- A bachelor’s degree (not required, but preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page
Apply online with a resume and cover letter addressed to Maya Lundhagen, Senior Vice President of Operations. We'll begin reviewing applications on May 14th and will be accepted on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.