Accepted Locations: Remote (CA, CO, FL, GA, IN, MI, NJ, NY, OR, TX, WI)
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The Finance team is responsible for ensuring the overall financial health of DonorsChoose. We work cross-functionally to support millions of revenue and purchase transactions annually, in addition to supporting traditional operational finance activities. Specific areas of responsibility include GL accounting, accounts receivable and payable, treasury management, 990 reporting, management reporting, forecasting, and the annual budget.
With a focus on continuous improvement, technology, and adopting scalable solutions, we serve internal and external customers alike. We are seeking an energetic and creative team member who will thrive in a fast-paced and startup-style work environment.
About the Role
The AP Specialist is responsible for primarily performing job duties associated with Accounts Payable, ensuring payments are remitted to our vendors for services and products rendered. In this role you will:
- Prepare and process bi-weekly payments in an accurate and timely manner
- Perform data entry associated with accounts payable
- Prepare and reconcile general ledger expense workbooks
- Collaborate with individuals across the organization to respond to vendor payment inquiries
- Own the annual vendor 1099 reporting process
- Verify and confirm donations for donors
- Assist with documentation and information required for year-end financial audit
This position may be a fit for you if:
- You feel passionately about joining a mission-driven organization
- You have an interest in Accounting or Financial Operations work
- You are a current or aspiring Excel whiz - you are unintimidated working with spreadsheets and large data sets
- You are detail-oriented and understand the importance of getting things right
- You are known as a problem solver, and enjoy coming up with creative solutions to problems
- You work well with others, and believe that collective team success is more important than personal glory
- Location: Remote (CA, CO, FL, GA, IN, MI, NJ, NY, OR, TX, WI)
- Schedule: 40 hours per week (schedules can be flexible Mon - Sun)
- Compensation: Starting at $17/ hour
- Benefits: a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of base salary); and annual professional development stipend; 15 days paid vacation and 10 paid national holidays. In addition, this position is full-time, hourly and eligible for overtime under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Please submit your resume online. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Jim Kao, Controller. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.