DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the Team
The Finance team is responsible for ensuring the overall financial health of DonorsChoose. We work cross-functionally to support millions of revenue and purchase transactions annually, in addition to supporting traditional operational finance activities. Specific areas of responsibility include GL accounting, accounts receivable and payable, treasury management, 990 reporting, management reporting, forecasting, and the annual budget.
With a focus on continuous improvement, technology, and adopting scalable solutions, we serve internal and external customers alike. We are seeking an energetic and creative team member who will thrive in our startup-style work environment.
About the Role
Reporting to our Controller, you will partner with the Accounting and Finance teams on accounting treatments, processes supporting the integrity of our financial statements, and be responsible for making sure that all things accounting are accurate across all lanes and business functions. We'll be excited to hear your recommendations on process improvements and overall operational performance. We're looking for a critical thinker and problem solver who can help our team get to the next level.
- Manage proper accounting of business activities and lead month-end financial close
- Prepare and review monthly journal entries and related balance sheet account reconciliations
- Actively maintain and review designated General Ledger accounts and activity
- Continually improve business processes through automation, thoughtful analysis, and researching best practices in the industry
- Support business processes by partnering with other departments/functions, including but not limited to FP&A, Accounts Payable, Treasury, People Operations, Partnerships, Fulfillment, and Engineering
- Identify risks, implement controls, and maintain proper process documentation
- Manage the annual external audit to ensure proper documentation is provided for review
- You have 4+ years of related work and financial accounting experience; A licensed CPA is preferred
- You love people and you constantly think about how to improve their experience with your interactions
- You are tech-savvy and comfortable embracing new systems and tools
- You love to think of ways to make a process easier and user-friendly
- You know how to roll with the punches. In fact, you thrive in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment. You take on challenges with a smile.
- You care deeply about education and share our organization’s commitment to racial and economic equity in America’s public schools.
- You have experience working with Sage Intacct or another cloud-based accounting software
- Having experience in non-profit accounting or inventory accounting is a bonus
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page
Please submit your application online, addressing your cover letter to Jim Kao, Controller.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.