DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the Marketing & Partnerships Team
Our team raises funds for teachers and students by designing and executing philanthropic partnerships with corporations and foundations. This year, we aim to raise $50M for public school classrooms through creative, collaborative partnerships with our institutional donors. (More about our partnerships.)
About the Role
As Senior Partnerships Manager, you’ll lead our relationships with multiple corporate and foundation partners, drive meaningful business and impact outcomes for our partners, and grow support for classrooms over time.
Our team operates like a sales organization, using B2B sales techniques to deliver increased revenue for teachers and students. We drive the DonorsChoose mission by unlocking partner support to address educational inequity.
In this role you will...
- Grow and sustain partner support
- Contribute to our ambitious revenue goal by securing grants from your portfolio of partners
- Learn our team’s approaches to business-to-business sales and fundraising, and use them to seek opportunities for growth and deeper commitment from your portfolio of partners.
- Cultivate deep relationships with your partners. Become the expert on what motivates them, what constraints they might face, how their organizations are structured, and what may be on the horizon
- Identify opportunities to meet additional business or impact goals for your partners, and craft customized pitch ideas to engage each partner
- Work collaboratively to write and compile compelling emails, proposals, and grants, and to prepare for partner meetings
- Manage best-in-class partner campaigns
- Work directly with corporate and foundation partners and lead cross-functional teams to meet partner goals, impact milestones, and organizational priorities
- Deliver excellent operational outcomes and creative solutions for challenges such as partner school visits, employee engagement, media storytelling, and funding logistics
- Analyze and present data and stories to illustrate partners’ impact
- Own and maintain partnership records, continuously updating key details and logging emails, calls, and meeting notes
- Contribute to team and org-wide leadership
- As a senior member of the Partnerships Management team, you will drive innovation in sales and partnership strategies, advise and support teammates, represent our team on cross-functional initiatives, and identify other opportunities to contribute to team and org-wide leadership.
- You’ll also play a key role in our evolution to more directly address racial inequity in education through our partnerships.
Who You Are
- You’re committed to our mission to support public school teachers and students, and energized by sharing that passion with others.
- You’ve thrived in a relationship management or client services role in the past, and can point to examples of professional relationships you’ve deepened over time.
- You’re hungry to continue learning new strategies to deepen relationships, secure partnership commitments, and manage an effective sales process.
- You have strong project management skills and a history of leading projects or campaigns that involved multiple stakeholders and lots of moving pieces.
- You’re an inventive problem-solver. You love coming up with solutions to challenges and identifying opportunities to grow and improve.
- You are a do-er. People always comment on how you juggle so many balls at the same time without dropping any. You take pride in managing lots of details and moving parts.
- You are flexible, and you adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- You share our core values of relentlessness, user focus, flexibility, ingenuity, teamwork, and transparency, with a dash of humility and fun.
- You have at least 5 years of relevant work experience.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page
Please submit your application online and address your cover letter to Risa Ward, Senior Vice President, Partnerships.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.