DonorsChoose is looking for a well-rounded senior product designer to join our product and engineering team. As a Senior Product Designer, you will be responsible for executing clear, thoughtful design solutions for our website, developing new features, and continuing to push DonorsChoose as an innovator in the crowdfunding space. Your work will encompass the entire product development lifecycle: from defining the work by listening to our users and analyzing metrics, ideating and prototyping potential solutions, getting into the codebase to help build the thing, shipping, and then analyzing its performance and iterating as needed.
What you'll do:
- Partner with our user researchers, product managers, and engineers to identify problems that our users are facing and execute solutions that deliver results.
- Create high fidelity prototypes to validate design directions. We use Axure RP.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders around the org to make sure their needs are being met in the work that you do and to communicate your work to get them on board.
- Write high quality front-end code to help build the things you design (HTML, CSS, JS). Our stack includes Sass and React.
- Make use of data and user research to inform your design decisions.
This position might be a fit for you if you have:
- 5+ years of experience designing products for the web (mobile and desktop) with cross-functional teams.
- Strong front-end coding chops.
- Excellent self-management skills and ability to work independently.
- A passion for education, equity, or social good.
- Strong beliefs loosely held — advocate for your point of view, but be open to having your mind changed.
- The ability to simplify complexity.
The Product and Engineering team at DonorsChoose does important mission-driven work, helping to address educational inequity in US public schools, but we operate more like a fast-paced startup than a traditional nonprofit (we ship weekly!). The product designer will join our team of product managers, UX researchers, and engineers to improve the on-site experience for our user base of donors and public school teachers, directly impacting the educational outcomes for students across the US.
DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun. See more at www.donorschoose.org/jobs
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page
Submit your application online. In your cover letter, tell us a little bit about your favorite teacher or subject in school! Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.