DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun. See more at www.donorschoose.org/jobs
The Fulfillment Operations & Strategy team is responsible for ensuring the resources and experiences teachers request on their projects are purchased and delivered. Our team manages and improves the purchasing operations and systems that ensure the right product or experience arrives at the right place and time. We strive for the same excellence to deliver a box of crayons for an art class as we do to purchase tickets for the planetarium. Along with our colleagues on Finance & Fulfillment, we help to keep our promise to deliver both materials and financial transparency to teachers and donors.
About the Role
The Senior Manager, Purchasing Operations will maintain and improve our purchasing practices across the team. As an experienced manager, this individual will directly coach and develop staff on a daily basis. This person will:
- Monitor and improve the health of our fulfillment processes with data-driven insights and goals
- Manage & monitor our micro-metrics, which make up the health of the purchasing team’s daily, weekly and monthly performance
- Ensure we’re meeting our fulfillment promises daily—including collaborating with staff to support ordering spikes
- Analyze team performance trends to help formulate and implement innovative solutions (e.g. training, fulfillment policy, systems, etc.).
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the team to improve our purchasing policies and standard work instructions (SWIs)
- Manage a full-time team to ensure we’re delivering on our service-level agreements in fulfillment operations
- Lead hiring and training to develop our self-driven, user-focused, purchasing team
- Directly manage, develop and retain full-time staff, including weekly and monthly check ins about performance and growth
- Maintain and improve our feedback culture to support staff performance and maintain operational excellence
- Provide regular team updates to key stakeholders, including accomplishments and obstacles to support the continuous improvement of purchasing
This position might be a good fit for you if you:
- Have at least 3-5 years of direct, full-time people management experience -- you’ve managed new hires and experienced staff during their careers.
- Are a skilled project manager, with comfort managing and delegating tasks.
- Have strong analytical skills, including comfort building reports and identifying trends over time.
- Have strong Excel expertise, including comfort with vlookups, pivot tables, and other intermediate functions.
- Are a strong communicator, who easily builds relationships with your colleagues.
- Are comfortable balancing competing priorities and can advocate for those goals in cross collaborations.
- Have experience with data visualization and analytics tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau).
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose.org, visit our careers page
Apply online with a resume and cover letter addressed to Erica Vendetti, Senior Director of Fulfillment Operations & Strategy. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.