DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list.
Marketing & Community Team Overview
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team. Our goal this school year is to inspire more than 700,000 individuals to give $70M to the 167,000 teachers who will post classroom projects on our website. To drive these donations, we inspire individual donors to give, facilitate meaningful, loyalty-building relationships between our users, and empower teachers to utilize DonorsChoose.
DonorsChoose is seeking a Digital Marketing Associate who will focus on driving key actions from teachers and donors at all points in their lifecycle, primarily using email but also leading projects on other marketing channels. We’re looking for a stellar project manager who’s equal parts creative and analytical and is eager to try new things, learn from them, iterate, and drive results.
- Plan and execute email sends for major campaigns, one-off programs, and corporate/foundation partnerships:
- Outline email calendars for various campaigns, including tests to run
- Work with our writing and design teammates to get creative
- Build complex segmented send lists for our various teacher and donor audiences.
- Format email creative with HTML/CSS
- Test emails through Litmus and 250ok for accessibility and rendering on different devices
- Run subject-line and content tests
- Build and A/B test automated emails to reach our donors and teachers at key lifecycle moments
- Improve our Welcome Series
- Launch new winback emails for lapsed users
- Test new approaches to classroom project recommendations
- Evaluate the success of each campaign you manage by monitoring deliverability, open rates, click-to-open rates, conversion rates, and more — we like numbers!
Collaboration and project management
- Manage cross-team campaigns and projects, coordinating with our colleagues on Operations, Product & Engineering, and beyond to engage our donors and teachers with campaigns and short-term events, like our Back-to-School match with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Collaborating with teammates to use our other marketing channels (digital advertising, social media, and new ones we’re just experimenting with) to drive specific actions from our users.
This position is right for you if you…
- Enjoy a fast-paced, ever-changing, startup-like environment. You care deeply about making education more equitable for students across the country.
- Sweat the small things. You are detail oriented, and always triple check your work — building emails or ads can be intricate, with lots of small steps and room for error.
- Can break complex projects down into small pieces, and stay on top of all the moving parts, whether you’re executing the work or collaborating with other folks on the team to get it done.
- Balance creativity with serious analytical chops to try new ideas quickly, and crunch the numbers to learn from the results.
- Are a strategic thinker, with an iterative approach to projects. You think about how your work fits into the larger context of your team’s goals, and you like trying out and building on new ideas.
- Are tech savvy, with a demonstrated ability to quickly learn new tools. If you have specific experience with any ESPs, Looker, Google Analytics, HTML/CSS, copywriting, or specific ad platforms, definitely call that out in your resume or cover letter.
- Get excited about great marketing. Our team is constantly sharing marketing articles, best practices, and emails that worked (or didn’t work) to find inspiration for our next campaign.
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; an annual professional development stipend; and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays. To learn more about what it's like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Stephen Burke, Digital & Growth Marketing Manager. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.