DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4.2 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 39 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and continues to make an impact in innovative ways, even as we experience our busiest year yet!
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the 2017 #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The People Operations team promotes a culture where our colleagues are appreciated, can thrive, and achieve outstanding results on behalf of our teachers and students. We provide consistently high-quality, efficient, and user-focused HR, IT, and Facilities services, and lead the thinking around how to motivate and retain our amazing team.
We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic teammates to provide exceptional assistance to our growing community. If you are motivated by our mission and get a thrill from helping people, we want to hear from you!
- Manage the front desk by greeting guests, distributing mail and packages, and responding to office requests from staff members.
- Maintain a high-functioning office which includes: overseeing office supply orders and inventory, kitchen refreshments, furniture, equipment, stocking items, and daily trash removal.
- Assist with recurring large group events: scheduling, setting up, facilitating, and taking down.
- Support the Office Experience Manager with projects, including creating services and processes to improve staff office experience.
- Work autonomously to design and develop self-serve standard operating procedures for staff, contributing to building office culture, and making sure staff are supported.
- Compile and distribute weekly departmental updates and communications.
- Coordinate staff birthday acknowledgements, anniversary gifts, and other appreciation initiatives.
- Support the People Operations Team with projects, as needed.
- Friendly, confident, and eager to deliver on internal customer service. You are passionate about completing daily tasks that keep the office running so staff can complete their work efficiently and successfully.
- Strategically minded; you are constantly thinking of creative solutions to improve workplace processes.
- Detail-oriented in coordinating schedules, meetings, and tracking dates.
- A problem-solver who is praised for your attention to detail. You live for organization. You find it satisfying to put things into a system - both data on a computer and physical inventory.
- Action-oriented; you have no problem checking off items from your to-do list and are ready to help others when they need it without being directed to do so. You have experience working on projects with little supervision.
- Tech savvy and thrive in an online environment; You’re comfortable learning new programs and tools quickly and easily. The idea of a fast-paced startup-like environment excites you.
- An excellent written and oral communicator; you have excellent interpersonal skills.
We value office culture, professional development, and fun. We’re an energetic team that loves what we do and values gratitude. Our office has an open floor plan which supports collaboration and teamwork.
- Hours: 20-25 hours per week
- Days: Daily schedule will be determined between the hours of 8 am - 6 pm
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in midtown Manhattan
- Compensation: Starting rate: $17 per hour. Additional compensation based on skills and experience.
- Min. Experience: One year of comparable experience; College degree preferred but not required -- seriously! We welcome all applicants whose previous experience is a fit for this role.
Apply online by submitting your resume, and a cover letter addressed to Shanique Parris, Office Experience Manager.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.