About The Team:
The Content & Volunteer Operations team has a front-row seat to the most compelling classroom-generated content on our site. We review all incoming project requests from teachers, and deliver the final touch for funded projects -- handwritten student thank-yous -- to donors. Our goal is to guide, approve, and leverage this content to deliver a personal experience to compel and inspire our donors and partners.
Our team of staff members works in tandem with a community of 400+ mission-driven volunteers to review project essays and facilitate gratitude through student thank-yous. This year, the team has collectively reviewed 400,000+ projects and 1,000,000+ individual student thank-yous.
As the part-time Operations Coordinator, you’ll be responsible for reviewing some of our most complex classroom content (project requests and student thank-yous), in addition to supporting key aspects of our NYC-based Gratitude volunteer program. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring that project content is successfully and speedily reviewed, with a special focus on providing extra support for volunteers, teachers, and donors along the way.
In this part-time role, you will:
Review complex project requests from teachers.
- Lead the charge on evaluating project requests from teachers for exciting funding opportunities from partners like Dick’s Sporting Goods and the Infosys Foundation, as well as projects escalated by volunteers to staff for further review.
- Ensure that projects meet our site-wide eligibility project requirements, and meet our integrity standards.
- Provide feedback to teachers when their project requests fall short of our eligibility criteria, so that they can edit and improve their requests.
Review handwritten student thank-yous from classrooms.
- Curate special student thank-you deliverables for our most impactful partners.
- Review incoming student thank-yous that have been escalated by volunteers to staff for further review.
- Ensure that student thank-yous meet our integrity and quality standards, before packaging them off to send to donors across the country!
- Connect with teachers and donors on tricky thank-yous that require an extra special touch.
Support our in-person Gratitude volunteer program.
- Welcome new volunteers, including running volunteer orientations.
- Support daily volunteer operations. This could mean: connecting with volunteers about scheduling, managing our incoming and outgoing mail deliveries, answering volunteer questions, and coordinating materials and supplies.
- Cultivate a fun, friendly, and productive volunteer environment that keeps volunteers excited, inspired, and motivated to support our mission.
- Build relationships and a sense of community with (and between) our volunteers. Connect with them about their newfound passion project or most recent vacation. You’ll make sure volunteers feel like an integral part of the DonorsChoose team. Because they are!
This job might be for you if:
- You adapt quickly to changing priorities. You know how to roll with the punches, and are excited by change. You are cool and collected under pressure, are adaptable to meet team needs, and thrive in situations where you can help someone find a solution. You’re happy to jump in wherever needed.
- You live for organization, and pay attention to the details. You’re thorough, self-sufficient, and comfortable with repetitive, intricate tasks. You are meticulous when following instructions, and take pride in your attention to detail.
- You’re a natural relationship-builder and collaborator. You love forging authentic connections with others. You notice the person at the party who feels left out and immediately invite them to join the conversation - both online and IRL. Awkward silence? You don’t know what that is.
- You are an A+ communicator. Your emails make people smile and you can explain just about anything to anyone.
- You are tech savvy. You’re comfortable with technology, and can learn new programs and tools quickly.
- You are mission-motivated, and passionate about educational equity. You care about helping teachers, and believe that all students should have equal access to educational opportunities.
- You are a recent graduate, current student, or professional who is motivated to work part-time for a mission-driven non-profit organization. A bachelor’s degree is not required.
- Hours: Between 10 - 20 hours a week, Monday - Saturday (depending on seasonality).
- Ability to work beyond traditional working hours. The in-office volunteer program is active until 8 PM and occasional Saturdays. Must be available for at least two weekday evenings.
- This role has a built-in evaluation point in June.
- Compensation: $17 per hour
Please submit your application online, addressing your cover letter to Jennifer Mao, Senior Manager, Content & Volunteer Operations.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.