DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 37 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times in 2017.
Trust & Safety Operations Team Overview
This part-time role is as the assistant on the Trust & Safety team. The Trust & Safety (T&S) team is responsible for ensuring that DonorsChoose is a charity that customers can trust and depend on. We do this by creating user-focused policies, developing systems to prevent fraud, and taking swift action to investigate potential misuse. We work to protect the integrity of the DonorsChoose mission so that students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
- Vet and add new public schools, Head Starts, charter schools and public school programs to our database.
- Correspond with teachers and school administrators to update school information, including addresses so that funded materials shipped to verified school locations.
- Compile mail merges and reach out to teachers and school administrators regarding major changes to school information.
- Call school and district administrators for employment verifications.
- Monitor reports on potentially high-risk activities on the site, and take action on any findings.
- Gather evidence in response to chargebacks and follow internal processes to properly account for returned donations.
- Assist in planning and executing user eligibility and materials ownership audits.
- Provide donation inventory reports for school administrators upon request, or in response to reports of misuse or ownership dispute.
- Document policies, best practices, and training guides for team members as they relate to our Trust & Safety efforts.
This position is right for you if you...
- Are thorough, detail-oriented, and relentless when it comes to getting to the bottom of an issue.
- Able to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Have experience learning new technical systems and working with datasets.
- Organize your life using spreadsheets, and enjoy keeping them up-to-date.
- Have an operational mindset, and love a good SOP.
- Are analytical, with a strong interest in using data to inform improvements.
- Are an exceptional communicator, especially over email.
- Are discreet and open-minded in response to delicate situations, and inclined to give customers the benefit of the doubt.
- Have a knack for delivering difficult news with a delicate tone and temper.
- Hours: Flexible schedules. Between 15 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible between the hours of 9 am - 7 pm.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in midtown Manhattan.
- Compensation: $17 per hour
Assistants are encouraged to attend events like our monthly All Hands meeting, in-office education events, and social events like birthday celebrations! We’ve also got snacks and coffee to keep you fueled.
Please apply online by submitting your resume, and a cover letter addressed to Jeana Takahashi, Director, Trust & Safety.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.