DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4.1 million individuals have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 38 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
Marketing & Community Team Overview
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team. Our goal this school year is to inspire more than 700,000 individuals to give $83M to the 150,000 teachers who will post classroom projects on our website. To drive this revenue, we inspire individual donors to give, facilitate meaningful, loyalty-building relationships between our users, and empower teachers to utilize DonorsChoose.
DonorsChoose is seeking a Digital Marketing Associate who will focus on driving donor giving using digital advertising, SEO, affiliate, and other marketing tools. This role will also support email projects aimed at our teacher and donor community. We’re looking for a technical, analytical doer who is eager to try new things, learn from them, iterate, and drive results.
You’ll help the team hit our ambitious revenue and growth targets by overseeing and optimizing our various digital marketing channels, including:
- Managing our $30K/month Google Adwords grant, ensuring we’re spending it effectively and testing new tactics to improve the efficiency of our program
- Owning our Facebook Ads program by refining our existing strategy, testing out new audiences and ad types, and executing all ads.
- Project managing our Affiliate Marketing pilot, working closely with a consultant to build out this new program and determine if we should continue with it in future years.
- Work closely with our Product & Engineering team to implement recommendations from an external SEO consultant.
- Pilot ads on other platforms, like Nextdoor and Pinterest, to determine whether there are other channels we should include as a permanent part of our marketing program.
- Monitor and report on digital marketing success metrics for all of the above programs and use insights to determine where our team should invest.
- Be the team’s digital advertising expert, staying on top of best practices and sharing them back with the wider team.
You’ll also be a key contributor to our successful email program by owning discrete email projects. You will:
- Plan, execute, and analyze sends for major campaigns, one-off, and automated emails
- Build and test those emails, including copy, hyperlinks, uploading images, and managing email lists
- Evaluate the success of each email campaign you manage by monitoring deliverability, open rates, click-thru rates and conversion rates.
- Execute AB tests on subject lines, content, and calls-to-action to improve key metrics
This position is right for you if you…
- Enjoy a fast-paced, ever-changing, startup-like environment. You’re passionate about teachers and public education.
- Are tech savvy, with some level of experience in Facebook Ads, Google Adwords, or another ad platform — or have shown a clear ability to quickly learn new tools.
- Are detail and process oriented, and an organized thinker. Building ads and emails can be intricate, with lots of small steps and room for error, so you need to be able to stay on top of many moving pieces.
- Are a strategic thinker, with an iterative approach to your work. You think about how your work fits into the larger context of your team’s goals, and like trying out and building on new ideas.
- Think like a marketer, balancing creativity with serious analytical chops to try new ideas quickly, and crunch the numbers to learn from the results.
- Have spent at least a year in some kind of Digital Marketing role. A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Social Science is great, but not required.
- If you have specific experience with Looker, Google Analytics, HTML, copywriting, any ESPs, or specific ad tech tools, definitely call that out in your resume or cover letter.
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of your salary); an annual professional development stipend; and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays. To learn more about what it's like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your resume and cover letter addressed to Stephen Burke, Digital & Growth Marketing Manager. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.