DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 37 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times in 2017.
The Fulfillment Operations & Strategy team is responsible for ensuring the resources and experiences teachers request on their projects are purchased and delivered. Our team manages the purchasing operations that ensure the right product or experience arrives at the right place and time when a project is fully funded. We strive for the same excellence to deliver a box of crayons for an art class as we do to purchase tickets for the planetarium. Along with our colleagues on Finance & Fulfillment, we help to keep our promise to deliver both materials and financial transparency to teachers and donors.If you are motivated by how we support our mission and are excited to join a team that works hard everyday to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do...
- Support, lead, and assist with day to day purchasing operations
- Support daily, weekly, and monthly purchasing operations and report on the ability of our team to meet key fulfillment metrics.
- Assist with daily tasks related to: ordering, reconciling payments, tracking deliveries, analyzing vendor performance, and more.
- Communicate with teachers about their project status via email and phone, resolving questions quickly and effectively.
- Support colleagues who work in purchasing operations with you on a daily basis to ensure we meet our key metrics and goals to deliver resources and experiences to public schools.
- Improve our operational efficiency to fulfill requests across all project types, including trips and special requests
- Advocate for teachers, vendors, and team stakeholders to constantly improve fulfillment with an eye for user-focus and data driven insights.
- Support new initiatives and responsibilities across the Finance & Fulfillment team as needed.
- Actively contribute to maintaining our team culture, which includes a positive and constructive work environment.
Our ideal candidate has…
- One year of comparable experience, specifically in purchasing operations or event planning.
- A background in customer service or operations is preferred.
This position might be good for you if you’re...
- Knowledgeable about online purchasing, enjoy working in financial tasks, like analyzing reports, and have a talent for math.
- An exceptional communicator, collaborator, and problem-solver; you’re often praised for your organization and attention to detail.
- Passionate about operations; you believe in the power of kaizen!
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Comfortable working in an online environment and enjoy learning new programs.
- A do-er; you like to check items off of your to-do list and are ready to help others when they need it without being directed to do so.
- Team oriented and believe that a successful day is best reflected by accomplishing a collective goal.
- Analytical with a strong interest in using data to inform improvements.
- Curious, creative, and open to sharing and learning from mistakes.
- Innovative and process oriented; you’re ready to help generate new ideas to boost productivity.
- Flexible when needs change and can take a moment to enjoy when good things are happening.
- Hours: Flexible schedules. Between 25 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible between the hours of 9 am - 7 pm.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in midtown Manhattan.
- Compensation: $17 per hour
Assistants are encouraged to attend events like our monthly All Hands meeting, in-office education events, and social events like birthday celebrations! We’ve also got snacks and coffee to keep you fueled.
Please apply online by submitting your resume, and a cover letter addressed to Erin Evers, Manager, Fulfillment Operations & Strategy.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.