DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 37 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
The Finance team is responsible for ensuring the overall financial health of DonorsChoose. We work cross-functionally to support millions of revenue and purchase transactions annually, in addition to supporting traditional operational finance activities. Specific areas of responsibility include g/l accounting, accounts receivable and payable, treasury management, 990 reporting, management reporting, forecasting, and the annual budget.
With a focus on continuous improvement, technology, and adopting scalable solutions, we serve internal and external customers alike. We are seeking an energetic and creative team member who will thrive in a fast-paced and startup-style work environment.
Reporting directly to the CFO, the Controller will be a key leader on the Finance team, helping to develop and manage a team of high-performing professionals, while also being a hands-on contributor.
GL Accounting and Reporting:
- Serve as an expert on non-profit and general accounting rules, staying up to date with accounting standards and legislative changes (lease accounting changes, etc)
- Perform monthly investment accounting for our Operating Reserve
- Help improve our accounting for Restricted Net Assets, so that we can perform a full analysis at least quarterly
- Own the monthly Financial Close, including final review of all journal entries, balance sheet recs, and p&l items
- Serve as an in-house expert on the recognition of complex grants (innovative new commercial co-ventures, point-of-sale, multi-year), advising our Business Development and Partnership Management teams on contract clauses and financial risk
Compliance and Controls:
- Work with our internal audit firm and Trust & Safety team to ensure strong financial controls and periodically test key controls
- Coordinate the annual audit, and own the annual Financial Statement package (including notes and supplementary disclosures)
- Oversee preparation of 990 by accounting firm
- Ensure timely preparation of payroll-related filings, other state filings, unclaimed property reporting and IRS data requests
- Assist HR with compliance documentation as needed
- Supervise 1-3 direct reports
- You have 10+ years of hands-on Accounting and Finance experience, with at least 2 years as a Controller or Assistant Controller
- You are a current or aspiring expert on non-profit financial statements; you dream about ASU No. 2016-14 and read financial statement notes for fun!
- You have experience reading and interpreting contracts
- You are familiar with the design, documentation and testing of internal controls
- You have an Accounting certification (CPA, CMA) or a Masters in Accounting
Leadership / Working Style:
- You feel passionately about joining a mission-driven organization
- You are humble - you are confident in your abilities and will advocate for your work, but you acknowledge how the work of others contributes to your success
- You enjoy managing a small team, and appreciate how the unique gifts of your team members can be used to meet your goals
- You are comfortable both digging into details and zooming out to look at the big picture
- You excel at building strong relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- You think creatively, and love coming up with novel solutions to problems
- You are un-intimidated by technology, and readily embrace new systems/applications
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of base salary); an annual professional development stipend, and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays.
Please submit your application online, addressing your cover letter to Geoff Hill, Chief Financial Officer.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.