DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 4 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 37 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times in 2017.
Marketing & Community Team Overview
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team. Our goal this school year is to inspire more than 700,000 individuals to give $75,000,000 to the 150,000 teachers who will post classroom projects on our website. To drive this funding and teacher participation, we: 1) Build connections between our organization, teachers, partners and donors; 2) Empower and educate our community of teachers to be successful on DonorsChoose; 3) Inspire new and repeat givers to support classroom projects; 4) Listen to our teachers and donors to determine and advocate for their needs.
As a Donor Relationships Researcher, you would be key to helping us build relationships with some of our most active and generous donors.
Donor Relationships Researchers research and thank individual donors as the first step in building relationships with them. They also support Marketing and Partnerships team members by owning specific tasks and projects that help us reach our shared team goals. Specific activities include:
- Researching our most generous donors and additional donor groups in order to identify high-value donors using Google and the DonorsChoose.org database
- Recording research findings in Salesforce
- Identifying stand-out donors and bring them to the attention of the Donor Relationships Manager, the CEO, and other relevant teams
- Personally thanking a subset of researched donors through email
- Executing one-off projects aimed at driving engagement and delighting specific donors
- Supporting Marketing colleagues in email outreach during busy times of the year
- You love solving mysteries and learning more about people. You never miss a chance to Google a person before meeting them.
- You find joy in the little things. You love performing small actions that can have a great impact.
- You pay attention to details. You catch even the small things, and will be sure to include the word “opposite” in your cover letter.
- You have a knack for knowing who your audience is and how best to interact with and delight them. You get a rush from figuring out the exact right gift for a special occasion or person.
- You’re confident when interacting with external contacts in a professional manner.
- You’re a great teammate who always pitches in to help.
- Hours: Flexible schedules. Between 15 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible between the hours of 9 am - 7 pm.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in midtown Manhattan.
- Compensation: $17 per hour
Researchers are encouraged to attend events like our monthly All Hands meeting, in-office education events, and social events like birthday celebrations! We’ve also got snacks and coffee to keep you fueled.
Please apply online by submitting your resume, and a cover letter addressed to Abby Feuer, SVP, Marketing & Community.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.