DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 3.9 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 35 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org has earned recognition as:
- The #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For," The Nonprofit Times (2017)
- The #1 “Best Mid-Sized Nonprofit to Work For,” The Nonprofit Times (2015)
- The #9 Most Innovative Company in the World, Fast Company (2014)
Our bright, sunny office is conveniently located in midtown Manhattan. We’re a non-profit, but our culture is more like a startup. We’re passionate about addressing educational inequity and you should be, too.
DonorsChoose.org is looking for an energetic, collaborative, and self-motivated Java Developer to improve our unique philanthropic marketplace. You will play a central role in an agile non-profit organization that is serious about technology. Our twelve-person Engineering team builds software using tools like IntelliJ on OS X, Java, Spring, Postgres, React, GitHub, Bamboo, and AWS.
We are open to applicants of all levels of experience for this role and have also posted a Senior Java Developer opening. We invite you to apply through the listing that best reflects your level of experience.
- Estimate and deliver on rapid implementation schedules--without compromising smart development goals and principles--to build web functionality that is functional, fast, and scalable.
- Design, implement, and maintain new functionality for the 900,000 active teachers and donors who depend on our site every year.
- Keep a high-volume, multi-faceted web system running by troubleshooting and fixing critical bugs.
- Work on features end-to-end including server-side, database, and front-end components.
This position might be a fit for you if you are:
- A top-notch contributor who will be comfortable in our startup atmosphere and eager to play a key technical role on a small, dedicated team.
- A clear and friendly communicator.
- An excellent problem solver and excited to take on diverse development challenges.
- Committed to taking ownership of your work and have an eye for detail throughout the web engineering lifecycle.
- Comfortable self-managing in a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about delivering high-quality web functionality with quick turnaround times.
- Strongly skilled with an object-oriented language, MVC framework, SQL and JS.
- Experienced in building robust functionality for commercial web sites and applications.
- Nice to have
- HTML, CSS.
- Experience with O/R mapping tools like Hibernate.
- Experienced in integrating 3rd-party web applications, services, and components.
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of your salary); an annual professional development stipend; and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays. To learn more about what it's like to work at DonorsChoose.org, visit our careers page.
Submit your application online. Skip the formulaic cover letter - tell us about your favorite teacher or subject in school and ask us some questions. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.