DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 3 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 28 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Thanks to its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
Teachers at three-quarters of all the public schools in the U.S. have created classroom project requests on DonorsChoose.org. The Advocacy & Public Partnerships Team works to establish deep and mutually beneficial relationships with school districts across the country, ensuring district administrators have the information they need to help teachers in their district secure classroom resources through DonorsChoose.org.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead a team of four full-time and two part-time colleagues
- Manage the team, with a focus on growing relationship-building and process-orientation skillsets
- Iterate on the scope of work for part-time staff, to make sure full-time team members are spending their time primarily on external-relationship building work
- Set the strategy for the team
- Set goals around building relationships with school districts. This includes school districts that are maximizing their teachers’ participation with DonorsChoose.org, as well as those school districts that have policies restricting their teachers from using crowdfunding
- Learn from outside the walls of DonorsChoose.org, learning how other education nonprofit policy teams work with school districts, adopting any new or relevant strategies
- Work with outside advisors, who know the K-12 education landscape and the players involved, to strengthen our strategy
- Build relationships with our top partners and school district administrators
- Develop relationships with new strategic partners in the education landscape
- Build upon existing relationships with our most strategic partners, like education associations
- Represent the voice of school districts internally at DonorsChoose.org
- Lead the team’s work with various departments across the organization, from Engineering to Project Fulfillment to Customer Service, sharing the views of our school district stakeholders
This position might be for you if:
- You think like an owner. You have an entrepreneurial spirit, you like to build, and you have sought out opportunities for your organization to shine.
- You are experienced in managing and growing talent. You take pride in team members who have worked for you hitting goals by working hard and working smart.
- You are a strategic thinker. You can assess any situation, think through several different paths for addressing it, and you are decisive in determining the best path forward.
- You’re a relationship builder. You’ve got a track record of making professional connections left and right, and you focus your energy and time on forming the deepest relationships with the people who can most help the constituents you serve.
- You learn every angle of the business; you like to think about how to collaborate with different departments across the organization to hit your goals, from sales to marketing to operations and finance.
- When you’re working for a cause that you believe in, you don’t give up.
- You have at least 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Bonus points if you have been a public school teacher, school district administrator, and/or a product of U.S. public schools.
- College degree required.
- Ability to travel to in-person meetings in various U.S. cities approximately one to two times per month.
Compensation and Benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of base salary); and annual professional development stipend, and 5 weeks paid vacation plus national holidays.
Please submit your application online, addressing your cover letter to Katie Bisbee, EVP & Chief Marketing Officer.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.