Build the solution that transforms the real estate industry!
Want to infuse a $25B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Yearning for a startup culture within a profitable nationwide company? Join Doma and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the wild.
Doma and its family of brands - States Title, North American Title Company (NATC) and North American Title Insurance Company (NATIC) - offer solutions for lenders, real estate professionals, title agents, and homeowners that make closings vastly more simple and efficient, reducing cost and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Customer Obsessed – We always put our customers first.
- Solution Driven – We solve problems that other people are afraid to.
- People leaders – We grow all of our people into leaders.
- One Team – We believe inclusion and teamwork produce the best results.
- Direct with Respect – We communicate with honesty and respect to our colleagues, customers, and partners.
About the Role
The Director, SOX is a key trusted financial partner for Doma’s compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act in support of our commitment to quality internal controls over financial reporting. This leader will report to the Senior Director, Financial Reporting and will work closely with SOX Control Owners in the assessment and evaluation of the effectiveness of Doma’s internal control over financial reporting environment.
The role is responsible for leading and managing Doma’s Sarbanes-Oxley program, including scope setting, coordinating with internal and external auditors and SOX process owners, testing internal controls and developing and monitoring remediation's. This leader will be responsible for continually improving existing SOX processes and procedures to support the areas of governance, project management, and change management with respect to SOX compliance. The Director will participate in the communications of key control issues and assist in preparing updates and messaging to leadership and external auditors. Additionally, the Director, SOX may develop and conduct compliance training for employees.
- Lead Sarbanes-Oxley program for establishing and maintaining adequate internal control over financial reporting.
- Identify key controls and derive conclusions pertaining to design and operating effectiveness of key controls by designing and executing appropriate testing of internal controls.
- Ensure that process control matrices and flowcharts are updated, detailed and accurate.
- Conduct risk assessments to determine the annual SOX scope, including coordinating with internal and external auditors.
- Serve as a technical resource on all SOX matters, including development, refinement, and documentation of internal controls.
- Work with control owners and SOX leads to ensure that SOX documentation is maintained/updated for all relevant processes.
- Partner with business process owners to consult in the development, implementation, and improvement of controls and processes, including the design, update, and streamlining of key process areas and cycles.
- Monitor evolving business environment for changes that may impact the company’s internal controls.
- Monthly internal controls and compliance monitoring and reporting to evaluate the effectiveness and remedial action requirements/guidance.
- Manage quarterly and annual Sarbanes-Oxley 302 and 404 disclosure processes.
- Support Finance Transformation initiatives contributing to an efficient control environment and standardized processes.
- Actively manage processes and people to ensure project progress and efficiency, while ensuring high quality work life balance and an engaged and motivated team.
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 7 years of combined related experience in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of internal controls and SOX compliance at a Big 4 accounting firm and/or publicly traded company.
- Minimum 7 years of experience supervising and developing professional staff.
- Demonstrated experience managing SOX, internal audits and remediation plans.
- Advanced understanding of financial and business processes, including developing solutions that involve large data sets and the risks surrounding those processes and that data.
- Strong understanding of IT risks and controls and their overall impact to financial control environments.
- Solid understanding of SOX testing methodologies, risk assessment practices and the PCAOB requirements and COSO framework.
- Ability and experience working with external audit firm to support their control testing requirements.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and influencing skills to drive internal controls strategy and partnerships across the company.
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
- Proactive and self-initiating work style.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and across organizational boundaries to reach consensus.
- Ability to work in a team environment and multi-task.
- Ethical behavior and transparency.
- Insurance or financial services industry experience preferred.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Auditing/Finance, Masters Degree is a Plus
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) and/or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) or other relevant professional certification highly desired
- People Management
- Project Management
- Time Management
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to translate complex issues into simple and easy to understand terms
- Analytical skills
- Execute and operate in high-pressure and fast-paced environments
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Competitive salaries
- Top-of-the-line computer equipment
- Multiple Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits options to allow you to customize to your and your Family’s needs
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
- Auto & Home Insurance Group Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.