Summary of Position:
Acquires and reviews all relevant documents, maps title chains and related items affecting one or more parcels of land, based on results of this examination, prepares preliminary title status reports.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical of those performed by associates in this job title; however, assigned duties may vary and associates may perform other related duties, and not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each associate in the job title or at a particular location.
Under general supervision:
- Prepares preliminary title status reports based on examination and research
- Examines deeds, grant deeds of trust, easements, codes, covenants and restrictions, deed assignments, re-conveyances, taxes, judgements, liens, assessor's parcel maps and other documents;
- Reviews data to verify ownership, correct annotation, and proper execution;
- Verifies that legal descriptions are written accurately;
- Identifies specific requirements for preliminary title report, including requirements for affidavits for questionable documents;
- Prepares disclosure of items to be resolved prior to approving title insurance;
- Orders property inspections as needed;
- Works with Title Officers or other higher level staff for guidance on unusual and/or problematic situations such as back vesting uninsured deeds, prior liens, need for indemnity, etc.;
- Uses arithmetic to calculate split ownership percentages;
- Coordinates typing of completed reports with support staff;
- May perform all of the duties of a title searcher including opening files and inputting data, generating data from County records to identify tax payments and status, printing relevant documents and reports, sorting and assembling information, requesting additional documentation from title plants, and performing related support duties
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Completion of high school and at least one year of responsible experience in title searching preferred
- Basic underwriting procedures.
- Basic real property law.
- Basic coverages of title policy insurance.
- Format and requirements for preliminary title reports.
- Terminology and documents related to title search, title chain and property ownership.
- Use of desktop computers including word processing and other common software.
- Customer service skills
- English grammar and spelling.
- Basic math for calculating percentages of split ownership.
Marginal Job Functions/Duties:
- Working independently and meeting deadlines under pressure.
- Performing detailed work rapidly and accurately.
- Performing in-depth examination and verification of documents and maps related to property ownership.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
- Interpreting and applying rules and procedures for chain of title.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Lifting/carrying requirements include lifting and carrying files, escrow files, loan packages, boxes of files, reams of paper, boxes of paper, supplies, telephone, calculators, etc. Generally, carrying consists of carrying the foregoing throughout the suite of offices. Generally, lifting consists of lifting the foregoing waist high, and occasionally over the head.
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associate. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Competitive salaries
- Top-of-the-line computer equipment
- Multiple Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits options to allow you to customize to your and your Family’s needs
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Commuter Flexible Spending Account (i.e. Transit or Parking)
- Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
- Auto & Home Insurance Group Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.