Neurodegenerative diseases are one of the largest medical challenges of our time. Denali Therapeutics is a biotechnology company based in South San Francisco, California that is dedicated to defeating neurodegenerative diseases through rigorous therapeutic discovery and development. Denali is founded on the collaboration of leading scientists, industry experts, and investors who share the vision that scientific discovery energetically applied to translational medicine is the key to delivering effective therapies to patients.
Denali is continuing to build a leading, innovative Discovery organization that will strongly contribute to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases. We are currently seeking excellent candidates to join our Discovery team based at our headquarters in South San Francisco, California.
As a scientist in our Discovery organization, this role will support Denali’s expanded large molecule biotherapeutics efforts with the goal of identifying novel therapeutics for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.
Accordingly, we seek candidates with experience in generating challenging proteins and/or protein complexes. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the biochemical characterization of large molecule biotherapeutics including guiding the development of robust and scalable purification processes and fit-for-purpose analytics. Close collaboration with protein engineering, pharmacology, biology & CMC teams will be essential to success.
In addition to large molecule biotherapeutics, as a protein scientist within our Biotherapeutics organization this role will have the opportunity to contribute to multiple therapeutic approaches and targets over time including small molecule strategies.
- Function as molecule lead on large molecule projects, providing biochemical guiding the preclinical development of our biotherapeutics
- Design, implement & optimize purification approaches for enzymes, enzyme-Fc fusions and difficult-to-express proteins
- Support hit generation and lead optimization activities for multiple large molecule target
- Explore and assess strategies for novel drug modalities to deliver biotherapeutics to the CNS
- Analyze proteins using an array of protein characterization methods (including HPLC, SEC-MALS, CE-SDS, DLS and others)
- Actively contribute to project teams and work effectively across functional teams to help advance programs
Successful candidates will meet most of these criteria:
- PhD in Biochemistry or related scientific discipline with 3+ years in biotech/biopharma industry or M.Sc/B.Sc. with ≥6 years of experience in biotech/biopharma
- Experience in drug discovery and development of non-antibody biologics such as enzymes or Fc-fusion proteins
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with large molecule protein purification workflows including multiple chromatographic methods (e.g. immunoaffinity, IEC, HIC, SEC)
- Familiarity with interpreting analytical data (including affinity assays, PTMs, enzymatic activity etc.) to guide lead molecule selection.
- Knowledge of rational protein design, purification of challenging proteins, complexes and fusions proteins
- Excellent oral, presentation and communication skills are required
- Creative thinker with a strong sense of responsibility and a desire to collaborate in an exciting and fast-paced research environment
Denali is committed to its core company value of unity by creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.