Who are we?
We're a software development company building the world's Elastic Workforce, reinventing work and challenging the assumption that a local team = the best team.
We help businesses deliver technical projects better than ever before through our platform and on-demand Elastic Teams™. Customers use our platform to scope any software project and are then paired with a fully managed Elastic Team of the world's best permanent freelancers that deliver it.
We have recently secured £5m in Series A funding from Guinness Asset Management and are now hiring a number of exciting roles to add to our fully remote team for exceptional growth ahead.
As a member of the team, you'll be working with scientists, engineers, product managers, salespeople and operational leaders from a diverse set of backgrounds who are challenging every assumption about work.
Want to know more? read: https://distributed.co/about
What is the role?
As Distributed’s People Operations Manager, you will work directly with the Head of People and the executive leadership team to execute key People priorities and initiatives to support our rapid growth in the UK and around the world. Your work will be absolutely critical to our success as a business as you will be chiefly responsible for bringing people into our core team, providing them a phenomenal experience and growing their capabilities.
Here’s a snapshot of your day-to-day work:
- Overseeing the recruiting and onboarding or ouf core team members (the permanent employees and long-term contractors working within our business, distinct from our Elastic Team of global freelancers)
- Advising leaders across the company on team structure, leadership development, succession planning, and change management
- Creating and implementing policies, programming and processes that enable us to scale and maintain our culture as an inclusive, high-performance team
- Communicating with team members across the business in reactive and proactive ways to keep a pulse on engagement and to manage employee and contractor issues as they arise
Here’s what we expect you to achieve:
- In your first month, you will onboard to the team and develop a thorough understanding of our People priorities and roadmap for 2021 and your individual goals. You will also individually meet every person at the company (we’re still small enough for you to do that!)
- By month three, you will have delivered to the company a vision for our core team People strategy and you will have begun to execute on that strategy in the form of clear policies, programming and processes delivered to stakeholders across the business. You will also be managing your team to successfully recruit and onboard talent into the company.
- Six months in, you will be seeing us through our next step change as a business as we move into 2022 twice the size we were at a year prior. As such, you will play a critical role in our strategic planning for the year to come.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate for this role will be an individual who is both deeply empathic and unrelentingly strategic, and someone who can see the forest and the trees - and knows when to apply the appropriate view. Further, we believe the ideal candidate likely possesses the following personal attributes, knowledge and experience that will lead to success in this role.
- You understand humans at a deep level, with all their gifts and foibles, and have chosen to build your career in service to them.
- You know how to speak and write to move others to action, to build consensus, and to simplify complexity.
- You balance an orientation to action with deep curiosity and awareness. You’re a high-energy self-starter, and you take the time to thoroughly understand the problems you're trying to solve and the best approaches to solving them.
- You are adept at storytelling and know how to deliver a compelling narrative supported with data and clear rationale. You can also design a slick deck and smart visuals to get your point across.
- You understand how a company at our stage (Series A; fewer than 40 employees) operates and know how to drive consensus by engaging all areas of the business to implement key initiatives.
Knowledge and experience:
- You have held People positions in both startup and enterprise environments and know how to operate in both contexts.
- You have experience delivering HR core services to a high-growth business (ideally in tech) and have supported a team of our size in the following areas: performance management, organisational design, comp and benefits, employer brand, recruiting, employee engagement and change management.
- You possess deep and broad knowledge in matters of UK and global employment law respectively. (Most of our core team employees and contractors are in the UK at the moment but that is quickly changing as we hire across Europe and elsewhere)
- You have overseen or been involved with implementation of HR management systems such as ATSs and HCMs, and you are technically fluent with such systems.
- You are an expert user of Slack, G Suite and MS Office and you can learn other systems quickly.
What will you get by joining?
- Competitive salary (£55,000-£65,000) and performance-related bonus
- Meaningful equity ownership in an early stage, growing startup
- Employee pension plan and Vitality private healthcare
- Necessary tools to do your job well (full tech setup and support)
- Over a month of paid annual leave (26 days + Bank holidays)
- Ability to work from anywhere (we're a fully remote company)
- Access to a community of co-workers, advisors and partners from some of the best companies in the world
Things to know:
Distributed is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
By submitting your application you give us permission to store and use the information from your cv and your answers to application questions.