Disco is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to join our AI/ML team. In this position, you will enable our ML Scientists to build cutting edge features in the domain of legal technology by developing distributed systems for ML Ops, data preparation, and scale-up of R&D prototypes into production-ready systems. You should have a conceptual understanding of machine learning workflows, ideally including experience implementing these workflows. Rank and pay will be commensurate with experience; Disco is committed to hiring top talent.
The AI/ML team designs, develops, and maintains Disco’s AI applications and has a need for experienced engineers capable of advising, supporting research, and hardening research prototypes. Most of our applications are based on deep learning, with particular emphasis on NLP tasks using techniques such as transfer learning with BERT. AI/ML forms a core part of Disco’s brand and vision, and this position provides an opportunity to implement technology that will transform the legal domain, with significant benefits for the broader society.
What You’ll Do
- Design and implement distributed software systems to support the development and deployment of AI/ML solutions in an R&D context
- Harden research prototypes in preparation for production deployment
- Provide engineering support for top-level ML scientists to help them access and manipulate data and build research prototypes
- Advise ML scientists on the engineering implications and opportunities of proposed algorithms and techniques
- Adhere to appropriate engineering standards of scalability and robustness both in research and production-ready code
Who You Are
You are a seasoned engineer with:
- 5-10+ years experience in software design and deployment
- Deep understanding of issues in the design of distributed systems operating in the cloud
- Demonstrated ability to implement, deploy, and maintain large-scale, robust systems in a distributed environment
- Experience with data management systems, including relational databases, data frames, and distributed file systems
- Familiarity with a variety of 3rd party tools and libraries in the ML space, for example, PyTorch, Pandas, Tensorboard, Comet.ml, CUDA, etc.
- Robust understanding of engineering best practices in software development, and a commitment to implementing these practices appropriately in context
- Conceptual knowledge of machine learning techniques and workflows
- Personal communication skills to facilitate the elicitation of critical requirements for ML software from ML scientists and to inform scientists of important engineering considerations
Even Better If You Have
- Strong understanding of machine learning methods, especially deep learning for NLP
- Experience running AI/ML workloads and comparing performance in CPUs, GPUs, Inferentia, etc.
- Knowledge of performance optimization: RAPIDS, Dask, Triton, TensorRT, Model Quantization, etc.
- Experience implementing ML workflows in a distributed environment such as AWS
- Understanding of deep neural networks: CNN, RNN, LTSM, transformers, etc.
DISCO’s Technology Stack
We use several technologies within the engineering organization, and the list is always growing. We don’t expect candidates to know all of these technologies.
Cloud Provider - AWS: EC2, Lambda, Aurora, Redshift, DynamoDB, ECS, SQS, SNS, Kinesis, S3, CloudFront, CloudFormation, SageMaker, KMS, CodePipeline, etc.
Visibility: ELK Stack for logging, Datadog, New Relic, Sentry.io, JupiterOne, Fossa
DSL-based Search: multiple large scale Elasticsearch Clusters searched using our Disco Query Language (DQL).
Event Bus: Kafka and Schema Registry
3rd Party Vendors: Redis, Auth0 for Cloud Identity Federation (SSO, SAML, etc)
AI: MinHash, FastText, Word2Vec, Convolution Neural Nets, Algorithmia (Lambda with GPUs) for training, PyTorch, Recurrent Neural Networks, Latent Dirichlet Allocation for Topic Modeling, etc.
Deployment: Terraform, Docker (via ECS), Consul for: App Config, Service Discovery, Shared Secrets.
Transport Mechanisms: Protobuf, Avro, HTTP Rest/JSON
CI/CD: Jenkins, CodePipeline, GitHub, Artifactory
Why Join DISCO’s Product Delivery Team
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%, pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’re going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
If you want to win while getting better than you’ve ever been, come to DISCO.
DISCO is a recognized leader in legal technology. Founded in 2013, DISCO’s mission is to create great technology to modernize the practice of law. Our solutions apply artificial intelligence and cloud computing to help lawyers and legal teams improve legal outcomes for their clients. Corporate legal departments, law firms, and government agencies around the world use DISCO for ediscovery, case management, compliance, disputes, and investigations.
DISCO recently raised $100 million, for a total of $235 million in venture capital. The company’s valuation is $785 million -- a demonstration of investor confidence in legaltech as a category of enterprise cloud computing, and a validation that DISCO is disrupting the broader cloud computing industry. We are using our investment to enhance our cloud technology platform and AI-powered products and services, and to continue to expand our presence outside of North America.
Are you ready to revolutionize the practice of law? Join us!
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k) (EU coming soon)
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.