About the role: You serve as the culinary nuts-and-bolts in our restaurants while managing and staying accountable for your team. As an extremely efficient individual with a passion for executing food excellence and hospitality, you run a strong kitchen by showcasing advanced culinary and people acumen. In our high-volume operation, you are always looking at food quality, cost, and training as a point of growth. Staying organized and detail-oriented in a fast paced environment is key to your role as Chef de Cuisine. We have a unique model where seasonal menu rollouts happen bimonthly. You will effectively multitask and train your culinary team through the day-to-day which blends into our culture. The Chef de Cuisine is responsible for developing a team while delivering excellent service to our guests.
About the team: Our Restaurants are run by a traditional brigade system. As Chef de Cuisine, you are the second in command. You report directly to the Executive Chef and the Sous Chefs and cooks report directly to you. You will also collaborate and be mentored by your Area Chef. Our restaurant teams provide guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal.
- Lead your Sous Chef and Chef's in Training team while delivering delicious food and great fiscal results
- Be responsible for and manage kitchen culture and best practices by serving as a reference point for the entire kitchen team
- Achieve and maintain the "A" letter grade from the Health Department, holding your team accountable and role-modeling cleanliness, safety, and organization
- Collaborate with your Chef Operator to manage labor and food cost
- Build your kitchen team by interviewing, hiring, providing performance improvement, and disciplinary action
- Monitor and uphold food quality, safety, and presentation
- Evaluate our marketing line, measuring what’s ready to serve, what needs to be prepared, and any potential waste
- Ensure the kitchen is set up for success with all tasks completed on time
- Implement food preparation tactics that maximize efficiencies in your kitchen
- Maintain a tight and orderly kitchen, including storage, labeling, preparation, and all safety protocols
- Actively give and receive feedback, monitoring the effectiveness of your team by providing timely positive and critical feedback
- About 2 years managing a kitchen team
- A strong work ethic
- Ability to communicate across all levels establishing clear directions and objectives while distributing the workload appropriately - in short, you can bring out the best in people
- An appreciation for the people you work with and ability to motivate and develop your team
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary
- The desire to grow professionally, learn new skills, and build strong relationships in and out of the restaurant
- Experience finding the best solution to a problem by taking many variables and details into consideration
- Food Safety Certification
- A passion for real, good food
Future Assignment: There is a tasting component included in the final-stages of our interview journey.
Work Perks: Aside from the standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
DIG is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale.
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission- building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free DIG for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.