About the role:
The culinary and hospitality elements of business during service is the glue to our operation, and you are responsible for maintaining high standards. The Sous Chef will lead all chef’s in training during high volume shifts delivering high quality food and service. With a genuine love for food, you will be tasting dishes, adjusting temperatures, and staying up to speed in a fast-paced environment. The Sous Chef acts as an integral team member during shifts and will oversee multiple areas of the restaurant. We are looking to have you on our team to grow and develop in our restaurants.
About the team:
The restaurant teams provide our guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal. Our Restaurants are run by a traditional brigade system. You will report to your Chef de Cuisine and collaborate with the Executive Chef.
- Manage your prep list and communicate with your Chef de Cuisine on food inventory, ensuring your walk-in is fully-stocked and organized.
- Motivate and develop chef’s in training by modeling culinary expertise and a good attitude.
- Speak to current menu offerings, seasonality, and promotions with our guests and team members.
- Take ownership of restaurant cleanliness by setting up the opening shift for success and closing with confidence that the restaurant is prepared for the next day's operations.
- Follow DIG and health department and food safety standards.
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Work with a multifaceted environment, communicating with guests and employees to ensure culinary excellence at all points of the shift.
- Demonstrate professional maturity.
- 1+ year leadership experience in a culinary environment
- The ability to demonstrate and execute an exceedingly strong work ethic
- Skills to motivate, develop, and inspire chef’s in training on your team
- A Food Safety Certification
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs)
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary
- An appreciation for the people you work with
- Excellent communication skills
- A desire for growth in our brigade
- A passion for real, good food
Work Perks: Aside from the standard job description fare (competitive pay) we also offer:
- Complimentary DIG lunch everyday
DIG is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale.
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission- building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free DIG for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
DIG believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.