About the role: The culinary and hospitality elements of business during service is the glue to our operation, and you are responsible for maintaining high standards. Leading chefs in training during high volume shifts and supporting administrative and cash handling duties is your vice. As your heart lies in the kitchen, you will use your strong decision-making skills to deliver high quality food and service.
With a genuine love for food, you will be tasting dishes, adjusting temperatures, and staying up to speed in a fast-paced environment. The Sous Chef acts as an integral team member during shifts and can oversee multiple areas of the restaurant. Maintaining responsibility during opening and closing shifts keeps your role dynamic as you strengthen your skills to lead. We are looking to have you on our team to grow and develop in our restaurants.
About the team: Our restaurant teams are evolving within the structure of our inspired version of the fine-dining kitchen brigade. Overseeing your chef’s in training, you will report to your executive sous chef and collaborate with a field chef from our culinary team. The restaurant teams provide our guests with an experience that goes beyond a great meal.
- Manage your prep list and communicate with your leaders on food inventory, ensuring your walk-in is fully-stocked and organized
- Motivate and develop chef’s in training by modeling culinary expertise and a good attitude
- Speak to current menu offerings, seasonality, and promotions with our guests and team members
- Take ownership of restaurant cleanliness by setting up the opening shift for success and closing with confidence that the restaurant is prepared for the next day's operations
- Follow Dig Inn and health department standards
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Work with a multifaceted environment, communicating with guests and employees to ensure culinary excellence at all points of the shift
- Demonstrate professional maturity
- Go home feeling fulfilled
- 1+ year leadership experience in a culinary and/or foodservice environment
- The ability to demonstrate and execute an exceedingly strong work ethic
- Skills to motivate and develop chef’s in training on your team
- Food Safety Certification
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs)
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary
- An appreciation for the people you work with
- Excellent communication skills
- A desire for growth in our brigade
- A passion for real, good food
Dig Inn is a farm-to-table food company with over 20 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale.
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission– building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free Dig Inn for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
Dig Inn believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.