Who We Are Looking For:
Are you passionate about film? Have you binged the latest Netflix streaming hit and can convey your thoughts about it in a clear and entertaining way? Are you knowledgeable about all the major players in Hollywood, New York City, Cannes, and beyond?
Digital Trends seeks a passionate freelance writer who has experience writing about the entertainment industry and possesses the skill set needed to create a variety of compelling articles that will relate to our readers.
What You'll Do:
The right candidate will be able to pitch and execute a variety of different types of articles for our Entertainment section that include features (usually 1,000-2,000 words), op-eds (1,000-2,000 words), lists (750-1500 words), and/or reviews (750-2,000 words). The ability to turn around clean and concise copy quickly and reliably with appropriate images can turn this into a long-term, reliable source of work for a passionate writer with a strong work ethic, voice, and understanding of the entertainment industry.
As part of your job, you will also find and secure relevant images, video clips, trailers, and other media to draw readers into your posts and retain them. Your sources will include media from studios, official press releases, stock photography from services like Getty Images, and more. You will work with the Section Editor in pitching, drafting, revising (if necessary), and publishing your work.
- Previous experience writing for a digital or print entertainment publication/website like Looper, Screen Rant, Entertainment Weekly, Inverse, or other similar outlets. This does NOT include personal blogs, college essays/dissertations, and other non-published work.
- Thorough knowledge of the entertainment industry. You know all the major studios and streamers, can name the most recent Oscar winners off the top of your head, and can utilize your knowledge to create a compelling article that is engaging and informative.
- Studio and PR contacts so you can have access to screeners and interview subjects.
- Familiarity with WordPress or a similar publishing Content Management System.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, and writing skills. You can construct a beautiful article but still maintain the Digital Trends style.
- Superb time management and organizational abilities. You know the importance of a deadline and can meet it without any problem.
- Stellar communication skills and good attention to detail.
- Flexibility with assigned work. You may cover a 1,500-word interview with a director one day and write a 2,000-word review of the latest Marvel movie on another.
- Pop culture savvy. You have Variety and Deadline bookmarked on your browser and keep yourself updated on the latest trends in pop culture.
Not Necessary, But Are Nice-To-Haves:
- Some experience with image editing.
- Experience with Asana or similar project management software.
Here's What You Need To Apply:
- A brief cover letter detailing your background, your areas of interest and experience in entertainment, and your availability.
- A resume with relevant entertainment experience and education history
- 2-3 relevant writing samples. These samples must be published work that cover entertainment.
Digital Trends Media Group (DTMG) is the world’s largest independent innovation media company. 200 million people each month engage with our network of tech and lifestyle media brands, influencing culture and igniting conversation around the ever-evolving worlds of innovation. DTMG’s core demographic is the HENRY (High Earners Not Rich Yet) millennial, whose sphere of influence spans generations. Through in-depth reporting, product reviews, and commentary that entertains as much as it informs, we speak to the audiences that matter most, about the innovation that deeply affect their lives.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.