Who We Are Looking For:
“Anything good on Netflix?” If you’re the one all your friends come to with this question, you’re a great candidate for our new Entertainment editor.
The Entertainment editor covers all of the most popular movies and shows, and all the different ways to consume them. We focus on big franchises like Marvel, must-watch series like The Mandalorian, and zeitgeisty hits like Queen’s Gambit. If it’s being talked about around a (virtual) water cooler, it’s in our purview. Coverage includes news, reviews, trailers, features, and interviews, but also service journalism explaining how to watch these shows. In the confusing labyrinth of streaming services our readers now have to navigate, the Entertainment editor is an expert navigator showing them which work with their budget, their devices, and their preferences.
Section Editors are leaders. You’ll run a tight team of staff writers and freelancer contributors, decide where to focus resources, make calls on what events we should cover, and maintain a coverage calendar. You’ll take the long view and plan coverage months in advance, integrating research from a wide range of teams. Yet you’ll also have to make split-second decisions when unexpected news breaks.
Section Editors are expected to share their industry knowledge with the Digital Trends audience via multiple media channels, growing their industry presence using popular digital platforms.
This is a remote position, but preference will be given to candidates in the Portland, Oregon and New York tri-state area, which puts them near our offices, and in the case of New York, future industry events. Regardless of location, candidates should be willing to travel regularly as in-person meetings and events return to 2019 levels.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of streaming entertainment services, and the most popular shows and movies.
- Oversee every level of content production from freelance writers to staff writers and editors.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Maintain relationships with key companies to ensure timely and extensive industry coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed reviews, thoughtful analysis, and pointed opinion pieces.
- Represent Digital Trends within the assigned area of expertise on video, television, radio and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years' experience in editorial position focusing on entertainment and media.
- A deep passion and knowledge of the entertainment industry.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills; able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape beyond just entertainment is a necessity.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
What's In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Be a part of the solution, see our commitments here: Seven Point Plan to Meaningfully Address Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Digital Trends Media Group (DTMG) is the world’s largest independent innovation media company. 200 million people each month engage with our network of tech and lifestyle media brands, influencing culture and igniting conversation around the ever-evolving worlds of innovation. DTMG’s core demographic is the HENRY (High Earners Not Rich Yet) millennial, whose sphere of influence spans generations. Through in-depth reporting, product reviews, and commentary that entertains as much as it informs, we speak to the audiences that matter most, about the innovation that deeply affect their lives.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.