Job Title: Section Editor, Mobile
Reports to: Managing Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: New York, NY or Portland, OR
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
This Section Editor position covers mobile tech including smartphones, wearables, and tablets focusing on the largest, most popular companies and brands in this space including Apple, Samsung, Amazon, Google, OnePlus, and Motorola. The ideal candidate for this position has a deep knowledge of each company’s presence in the mobile space and passion for mobile technology and consumer electronics.
Section Editors are leaders. You’ll decide where to focus resources, make calls on what events we should cover, maintain a coverage calendar, and hire writers to support your efforts. At times, you’ll take the long view and plan coverage months in advance. Yet you’ll also have to make split-second decisions when unexpected news breaks.
Applicants for this position must have a broad base of knowledge in mobile and wearable technology. While you might prefer Android to iOS, or vice versa, you should be deeply familiar with all key products that make up the mobile beat: Smartphones, tablets, wearables, and all of the associated carriers, services, apps, and software that work with them.
Section Editors are expected to share their industry knowledge with the Digital Trends audience via video, and should be comfortable growing their video presence. However videography and video editing experience are not required.
Our ideal candidate is based in the Portland or New York tri-state area, which puts them in close proximity to our offices, and in the case of New York, future industry events. Regardless of location, candidates should be willing to travel regularly as in-person meetings and events return to 2019 levels.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge of the mobile and wearables industry.
- Oversee every level of section production from freelance writers to staff writers and editors.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Standardize reviews with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key companies to ensure timely coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed product reviews, thoughtful analysis and pointed opinion pieces.
- Represent Digital Trends within the assigned area of expertise on video, television, radio and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- 3+ years experience in editorial position, focusing on consumer electronics; history in a mobile-focused role is a plus.
- A deep passion and knowledge of consumer electronics including wearables and mobile technology.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Photography and videography skills are a plus.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity.
- Ability to work in an office environment.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive benefits package including:
- Individual and Family Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-term Disability
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) Program
- 401k plus employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Pre-tax Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.