Job Title: Senior Staff Writer, Computing
Reports to: Section Editor, Computing
FLSA: Hourly, Non-exempt, Full-Time
Location: Portland, OR or NY Tri-State area preferred.
Who We Are Looking For:
Our next Senior Staff Writer, Computing possesses a deep understanding of PC hardware gleaned from years of experience reporting in the industry. They should not only pull from a bottomless well of knowledge about building PCs, but also a deep passion for what makes that experience so great. You know the ins and outs, and how to explain them in terms a common consumer can understand. Core topics of coverage include processors, graphics cards, gaming laptops, prebuilt desktops, and the vast world of PC gaming peripherals that bring it all to life.
Is it better for gamers to go with Intel or AMD in 2021? What’s the best way to manage cable routing in your custom PC? Our future Senior Staff Writer, Computing can tell you, and knows how to break it down.
This is a highly independent position for a pro who wants to go out into the field and bring home trophy coverage, not be handed assignments. The ideal candidate understands that being the best requires building contacts, spending hands-on time with hardware, and challenging the status quo, not merely re-reporting press releases. Expect to write breaking news, insightful analysis, pointed op-eds, thoroughly researched features, and critical reviews. In some cases, you may star in videos to accompany written coverage. On-screen experience is a plus, but video editing experience is not required.
Senior Writers will primarily produce content, but will at times be called upon to help edit, plan section content, and manage the section during particularly busy times, or when the Section Editor is unavailable.
What You'll Do:
- Produce content every day including a mix of news, features, and product reviews
- Keep our most important PC hardware content up to date
- Develop long-form features and articles, and create insightful opinion pieces
- Fact-check articles and aid in production in WordPress publishing platform
- Travel to cover press events, conferences, and briefings
- Use SEO and data analytics to identify popular stories and product reviews
- Script and shoot for both live and recorded video content
- Occasionally edit and supervise a team of freelance writers
- Develop and nurture contacts with industry sources
What We Require:
- 3+ years’ of freelance or staff writing experience
- Broad knowledge of and interest in the computing industry
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred
- Strong command of AP Style
- Approachable, authentic written voice with a knack for digesting technical details
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred), Microsoft Teams, and Asana.
- Comfortable working with basic HTML
- On-camera experience, photography/videography
- Willingness to travel for events, meetings, and trade shows once they return
What’s In It For You:
Exceptional benefits package including:
- Medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance
- 401k plus matching
- Flexible spending accounts
- Pretax commuter transit and parking benefits
- Paid parental leave
- Sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Flexible paid time off
- Life insurance
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology — from the QLED vs. OLED TVs, the latest smartphones and wearables, gaming consoles and desktops, to innovations in autonomous vehicles. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and beyond. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.