Job Title: Section Editor - Entertainment
Reports to: Managing Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: New York, Remote
Section Editor, Entertainment
Digital Trends is the world’s largest independent technology news site. From phones to next-gen gaming consoles, we strive to demystify the tech world through news, reviews, and insightful analysis. More than 25 million monthly readers trust us to help them pick the right products, make the most of them, and lead a better tech-enabled life. We’re looking for an entertainment editor to help consumers find shows and movies they’ll enjoy, the best places to stream them, and dive deep into the franchises they love.
Section editors are the backbone of the Digital Trends editorial department. While capable writers, reporters, and editors, a section editor is set apart from their journalistic peers by an incredibly robust knowledge of the relevant subject matter. They don’t just interview experts, they are experts in their own right, and cultivate a deep knowledge of the latest trends, technologies, innovations and challenges in their vertical. A section editor parlays this mastery of a category into savvy, accessible coverage of all the latest products within it.
- Build a team
- Even the best writer-editors can’t run a section on their own. A section editor oversees recruiting, onboarding, training, and retaining a team of top-caliber freelancers to create content for their section.
- Generate content
- Content is core to a section editor’s role at Digital Trends. A section editor produces a specific blend of written content proportional to their budget, including news, reviews, features, and evergreen articles.
- Face the camera
- Content at Digital Trends means more than simply writing. A section editor is responsible for scripting and starring in video on a regular, weekly basis, to ensure that our audience has multiple ways of accessing their expertise.
- Stay on budget
- Every section has a budget allocated in proportion to the traffic it can generate. An editor generates the required amount of content within the constraints of the budget. As traffic grows, new levels of budget will unlock.
- Maintain outside relationships
- Access to inside information and review units are crucial to put out competitive coverage of any product space. A section editor must establish and strengthen ties with outside companies and experts while maintaining the integrity that allows them to evaluate their products objectively.
- Collaborate internally
- Different arms within Digital Trends rely on close collaboration with editorial, whether to best monetize content, amplify our voices, or steer the company in the right direction. A section editor must work with other departments to make sure their work always furthers broader company goals.
- Represent Digital Trends
- Visibility is good for Digital Trends and good for editors’ personal brands. As experts in their field, section editors may be called upon to give interviews on TV and radio, host and sit on panels, write guest columns, and act in other publicly visible roles.
- At least two years covering the relevant industry as a journalist, or working within it
- Strong command of AP Style
- Experience leading and managing a tight-knit team of creatives
- Journalism or communications degree
- Knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, and Asana
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pretax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.