Job Title: Manager, Programmatic Optimization
Dept: Ad Operations, Operations
Reports to: Sr. Director Ad and Media Operations
FLSA: Salary/Exempt / Full-Time
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
Digital Trends Media Group is looking for a reliable partner to help support the Ad and Media Operations group. Our mission is to provide our clients with the best technology, inventory, data, strategy, and service for direct and programmatic media sales. We believe in maximized media efficacy and are leaning into the future state of media and advertising.
This person will be responsible for managing the day-to-day requirements related to our programmatic direct and indirect ad operations, reporting, and yield optimization efforts with a team of specialists in ad platforms, revenue products, and trafficking operations. This role collaborates closely with dev and yield leaders on strategy. It is part of a team that owns the management and evolution of our entire Ad Tech stack (including programmatic & data), ensuring we are conducting business using leading platforms that are best aligned with our monetization strategies and goals.
The ideal candidate has a solid background in programmatic and technical troubleshooting, focusing on ad-tech optimization and integrations across data, SSPs, and DSPs, thinks strategically, and is comfortable working across various platforms and systems. This person is a problem-solver who is solutions-oriented, ready to roll up their sleeves to get to the right answer or resolve an issue, and is focused on performance-driven outcomes for our advertisers and revenue goals.
What your responsibilities and oversight include:
• Provide strategy and guidance in support of programmatic revenue goals. • Maintain daily reporting across multiple supply-side partners and provide recommendations to maximize revenue, including analyzing spend and fill rates. • Review and ensure demand partners are fully optimized with our supply and find optimal floor pricing strategies to maximize fill rate and CPM.
• Surface yield improvement opportunities by conducting site audits across the Digital Trends Media Group network of sites, troubleshooting ad units, and monetization issues as they arise team to ensure most relevant data points are being surfaced.
• Work proactively within Digital Trends Media Group’s SSPs to optimize revenue, including reviewing floors and rate cards.
• Partner with engineering to challenge the boundaries on programmatic ads to ensure we are capitalizing on all ad requests and lead A/B testing efforts.
• informing internal sales team on best ways to sell through direct programmatic opportunities, preferred deals, private auctions, and programmatic guaranteed.
• Trafficking and reporting on programmatic campaigns (scheduling, QA, delivery, fill, revenue reporting, and analysis).
• Review data analytics and provide up-to-date spending, delivery pacing on all campaigns and work with finance on month-end close.
• Training other members of the AdOps team as needed in techniques and strategies that ensure accurate results, consistent support, and a positive experience for our clients.
• Pushing for consistent programmatic process improvement and setting relevant policies for the team. Including collaboration with cross-functional leaders to surface areas of process improvement that will drive efficiency for the business.
• Operating from a sense of urgency and purpose, with the ability to tie team activities to overarching business goals and strategies. Managing vendor/platform relationships with our SSPs, DSPs and any other relevant integration partners within the ad stack that support our programmatic revenue goals.
• Timely reporting and data insights to maximize business intelligence and capabilities. • Knowledgeable of the ad industry and is comfortable sharing ideas and trends that will help to capitalize on revenue opportunities.
• Working cross-functionally with product and engineering leadership to manage the implementation of new ad & data technologies into the ad stack, in support of programmatic revenue goals.
What you bring to the team:
• You are resilient. You learn and adapt in a dynamic, high-growth environment • You have a strong familiarity with publisher ad monetization and the ability to analyze data across various sources quickly.
• Deep experience in programmatic and technical troubleshooting at a Publisher, SSP, Network, ad operations, yield optimization, or programmatic revenue.
• You deeply understand our audience and put them at the center of everything you do, aiming to serve and delight them every day.
• With respect and the highest integrity, you do the right thing. If you see something that isn't right, you say something.
• You are data-driven and curious. You use key metrics and analysis to support future decisions to optimize performance.
• You debate and ask questions to understand different perspectives and are comfortable with challenging assumptions, respectfully. You welcome constructive conflict if it helps get to the right answer and the business's best outcomes.
• You set clear and ambitious goals, anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments and outcomes.
• You make decisions thoughtfully and are an effective and timely communicator with a keen understanding of collaborating, compromising, and escalating when needed.
• You are always learning, and by being here, you make our company stronger.
What Your Qualifications Are:
- 5+ years of experience in managing or planning digital, specifically, programmatic and data.
Deep knowledge of publisher side ad serving (DFP/GAM)
In-depth understanding of supply and demand-side platforms (Index Exchange, AdX, DV360, AppNexus, TheTradeDesk, etc.).
Thorough knowledge of analytics platforms (GA360, Adobe Analytics, etc.).
In-depth understanding of DMP platforms (Salesforce DMP, Permutive, Adobe Audience Manager, etc.) including data activation.
Familiarity with SEM platforms (Google Ads, Bing Ads, Kenshoo, etc.).
Technical understanding of the programmatic landscape and how it fits into the broader consumer experience.
Ability to work independently and in a team environment while handling multiple tasks with shifting priorities.
Curious and critical thinker with the desire to understand programmatic media and its relationship with a client’s overall business success.
Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely to audiences with varying levels of understanding.
Ability to work within the constraints of tight deadlines.
- Flexibility to be available or respond to communication after-hours as needed.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to craft and deliver a cohesive and compelling story.
- Knowledge of offline and online space; understands the relationships between brand, media, and consumer.
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills with knowledge of testing methodologies.
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive benefits package including:
- Individual and Family Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-term Disability
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) Program
- 401k plus employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Pre-tax Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Fun working environment! Our perks include:
- Free beer and kombucha on tap
- Free espresso
- Free drinks and healthy snack options
- Foosball & ping pong tables
- Big-screen TVs
- Bike racks
- In-office shower
- In-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews)
- Full kitchen and much more!
- Company paid annual Tri-Met commuter transit pass (PDX)
- Free membership to gym within building (PDX)
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.