Job Title: Associate Service Editor - Technology
Reports to: Senior Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Portland, New York, Remote
Digital Trends, the largest independent tech media site in the world, is a technology/lifestyle brand with offices in Portland, Oregon; New York; Chicago; and more. We cover anything and everything in technology- from the QLED vs OLED 4k TVs, racing drones, Apple product recalls, to innovations in autonomous driving. Our content spans from news, expert analysis, guides, in-depth reviews, and more. Digital Trends provides insights to our readers in a way that enhances their lifestyle. “Tech for the Way You Live.”
Who We Are Looking For:
The Associate Service Editor position is an important support role, one that encompasses a wide array of job responsibilities and spans many sections of the site. You have a broad knowledge of consumer tech -- from video games and smartphones, to laptops and virtual assistants -- and an understanding of SEO and how to best use it from a content perspective. Passion for consumer technology is a must, as is analyzing historical data and trends to make informed, strategic decisions regarding resource allocation.
As the Associate Service Editor, you will help develop and maintain evergreen content, namely buying guides, tutorials, and comparison pieces designed to inform our readers and buoy other content on the site. You’ll also occasionally write, update, and edit content, while working with a large pool of freelancers to ensure best practices.
Applicants for this position must have a broad base of knowledge of consumer technology, and experience writing or managing guides or similar content.
What You'll Do:
- Maintain intermediate-level knowledge across a broad spectrum of consumer tech.
- Identify trends and top-performing articles to shape future editorial efforts.
- Improve existing content to better serve both readers and search rankings.
- Standardize evergreen content with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Oversee and work on new, time-sensitive content that pertains to breaking news.
- Write, update, and edit evergreen content in several main sections.
- Research new topics -- specifically buying guides, tutorials, and comparison pieces -- that fall within our editorial scope.
- Work with outsourcing partners to foster relationships, improve copy, and ensure accurate content.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape Digital Trends’ editorial standards.
What We Require:
- College degree in journalism or related field.
- 1+ years editorial experience.
- Write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Experience writing or managing service guides or similar content.
- Acute knowledge of SEO, specifically as it applies to content.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred), and task management tools (Asana preferred).
- Administrative skills and an eye for editing.
- Broad knowledge of the current tech landscape is a necessity
What’s In It For You:
- Great benefits package including:
- Individual and Family Medical, Prescription, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company-paid Short and Long-term Disability
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off) Program
- 401k plus employer match up to 3.5%
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Pre-tax Commuter Transit and Parking Benefits
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
As an equal opportunity employer, Digital Trends encourages, honors, and values diversity. Our goal is to create a culture of inclusion. We are committed to fostering a positive multigenerational and multicultural workforce by supporting inclusion in all forms, both within our company and across interactions with our audience, clients, and candidates.